Re: mac sales down

Mayor Of R'lyeh
SubjectRe: mac sales down
FromMayor Of R'lyeh
Date05/16/2008 07:47 (05/16/2008 01:47)
Message-ID<dm7q24t5tf1smvep5321gtkc8oekl4vr1u@4ax.com>
FollowsZnU

On Fri, 16 May 2008 01:08:59 -0400, ZnU <znu@fake.invalid>wrote:

ZnU
In article <2jcn24t8jbku7pnal9dg503ccbf1u5tovu@4ax.com>, Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com>wrote:

Mayor Of R'lyeh
On Mon, 12 May 2008 02:38:52 -0400, ZnU <znu@fake.invalid>wrote:

ZnU
In article <sckf24l7di9alnaoqgob99f28kiec8l9kb@4ax.com>, Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com>wrote:

Mayor Of R'lyeh
On Sun, 11 May 2008 23:59:36 -0500, Chance Furlong <t-bone@megakatcity.com>wrote:

Chance Furlong
In article <rfhf24teh4oktrgobjans1hdr73g1unq7g@4ax.com>, Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com>wrote:

Mayor Of R'lyeh
On Sun, 11 May 2008 22:12:47 -0600, Warchild <bob@bob.com> wrote:

Warchild
That old horseshoe has been disproved time and time again.

Mayor Of R'lyeh
Only when artificially skewed in the Mac's favor.

Chance Furlong
How is it artificially skewed in the Mac's favor? I ask for in formation only.

Mayor Of R'lyeh
The most glaring example of that is the insistence of using the Mac as the baseline instead of the user's wants and/or needs.

ZnU
Doing a cost comparison based on some hypothetical user's needs is useless in an advocacy group, though, because one can trivially define the user's needs to make the Mac look bad. For instance, insist that the user needs a particular graphics card only available in a high-end tower on the Mac side, but that can be tossed into a free slot on an $800 Windows tower, and then screech about how the Mac costs 5x as much, ignoring the fact that it's a vastly more powerful machine in every other way.

Mayor Of R'lyeh
Actually we don't need to do that. Sales figures do that for us.

ZnU
Only in some right-wing fantasy world where all market participants have perfect information and make perfect choices. In the real world, markets don't always produce the best possible outcome.

Whatever excuse you want to make, the fact remains that the Mini ain't moving. And if you'll note my 'right wing fantasy' is reality while your vision is some utopian world where everyone knows everything about everything they want to buy. And you call me deluded? I prefer to deal with things as they are instead of whining that 'its not fair because the world isn't a perfect place!'

Mayor Of R'lyeh
And there's no need to use hypotheticals. We all know that most people just don't do anything very intense with their computers. There's no need to require certain models of graphics cards.

ZnU
Yet it's fairly common game in this newsgroup to come up with some obscure requirement the Mac can't fulfill and then claim it's not a serious computer as a result.

Which is hardly what I'm doing so I'm not sure why you're bringing it up.

[snip]

and thus, while this argument might be compelling for certain individual users, it's largely irrelevant to the subject of which platform is better overall, the main focus of advocacy discussions.

Mayor Of R'lyeh
Whether or not most people avail themselves of an advantage it still remains an advantage.

ZnU
But given its limited applicability, not one that should get nearly as much attention as it does in advocacy groups.

Its more widespread than you're willing to admit. There's a reason big box marketers like Best Buy and Wal-Mart sell computer parts and it isn't because they think they look good sitting on the shelves.