Re: mac sales down

ZnU
SubjectRe: mac sales down
FromZnU
Date05/12/2008 06:33 (05/12/2008 00:33)
Message-ID<znu-AD5F5E.00331612052008@news.individual.net>
FollowsMayor Of R'lyeh
FollowupsMayor Of R'lyeh (5m) > ZnU

In article <c4ff24118noq8u1folg89ukigeq1m6e7nq@4ax.com>, Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com>wrote:

Mayor Of R'lyeh
On Sun, 11 May 2008 23:03:34 -0400, ZnU <znu@fake.invalid>wrote:

ZnU
In article <GHKVj.2487$ah4.231@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com>, "John Slade" <hhitman86@pacbell.net>wrote:

John Slade
The reason why OS X market share will remain small is becaue Apple only wants to make it for a tiny segment of the computer market. That being the Mac. If it was available to every other PC, it might catch on and more companies would write software for it. As it is now, it's just a niche OS.

ZnU
I've asked this question quite a lot previously, but I'll ask it again:

Precisely what is supposed to be so much more compelling about OS X on, for instance, a Dell, vs. OS X on a Mac?

Mayor Of R'lyeh
The price of the HW...duh!

OK, but as I've also mentioned many times before, it would be far easier for Apple to get OS X on cheaper machines by simply offering cheaper Macs than by attempting to support a substantial fraction of the hardware out there in the generic x86 world.

-- "More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming out any other way." --George W. Bush in Martinsburg, W. Va., July 4, 2007