Re: mac sales down

Alan Baker
SubjectRe: mac sales down
FromAlan Baker
Date05/16/2008 21:16 (05/16/2008 21:16)
Message-ID<alangbaker-3E8F6C.12161016052008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>
FollowsSteve de Mena

In article <xYKdnS7GZ78SUbDVnZ2dnUVZ_hKdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@stevedemena.com>wrote:

Steve de Mena
-hh wrote:

-hh
Steve de Mena <st...@stevedemena.com>wrote:

Steve de Mena
-hh wrote:

-hh
Steve, how about a breakdown as to what's in that huge Library folder of yours?

Steve de Mena
I'm pretty sure the Library folder is so big due to the many music apps I have and their large sample libraries, which typically get installed in the "Library" hierarchy. I have Logic Studio and all the Apple "Jam Packs", Native Instruments "Kontakt" and "Battery" (with a couple of add-on drum libraries).

I broke it down some... /Library/Audio 56 GB /Library/Application Support 41 GB /Library/Application Support/Garageband 22 GB /Library/Application Support/DVD Studio Pro 8.4 GB /Library/Application Support/Logic 4.7 GB /Library/Printers 3 GB

-hh
Thanks for this info. Personally, I don't use Garageband, so I've never added to its libraries. I'll try to remember to take a look at my relevant size numbers this weekend to perform a comparison of what the default starting condition's size is like.

-hh

Steve de Mena
I don't use Garageband much per se, but its resources (loops, samples) can be used in Logic, which is where I would be more likely to utilize them.

I have a utility called "Disk Inventory X" which will break down by folder and sort by size to see at a glance where the space hogs are. Free. http://www.derlien.com/

Steve

Just open your hard drive's window, view as a list, choose "View Options":"Calculate all sizes" and expand folders as necessary. No utility required.

-- "The iPhone doesn't have a speaker phone" -- "I checked very carefully" -- "I checked Apple's web pages" -- Edwin on the iPhone "It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix." -- "It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix' (Edwin on Mac OS X) '[The IBM PC] could boot multiple OS, such as DOS, C/PM, GEM, etc.' -- 'I claimed nothing about GEM other than it was available software for the IBM PC. (Edwin on GEM) 'Solaris is just a marketing rename of Sun OS.' -- 'Sun OS is not included on the timeline of Solaris because it's a different OS.' (Edwin on Sun)