Re: mac sales down

ZnU
SubjectRe: mac sales down
FromZnU
Date05/12/2008 08:23 (05/12/2008 02:23)
Message-ID<znu-12A819.02230012052008@news.individual.net>
FollowsMayor Of R'lyeh
FollowupsGeorge Graves (13h & 15m) > ZnU

In article <hdif24d93f2kfp7orjlu0jqm86pvn9sv5b@4ax.com>, Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com>wrote:

Mayor Of R'lyeh
On Mon, 12 May 2008 00:33:16 -0400, ZnU <znu@fake.invalid>wrote:

ZnU
In article <c4ff24118noq8u1folg89ukigeq1m6e7nq@4ax.com>, Mayor of R'lyeh <mayor.of.rlyeh@gmail.com>wrote:

Mayor Of R'lyeh
On Sun, 11 May 2008 23:03:34 -0400, ZnU <znu@fake.invalid>wrote:

ZnU
In article <GHKVj.2487$ah4.231@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com>, "John Slade" <hhitman86@pacbell.net>wrote:

John Slade
The reason why OS X market share will remain small is becaue Apple only wants to make it for a tiny segment of the computer market. That being the Mac. If it was available to every other PC, it might catch on and more companies would write software for it. As it is now, it's just a niche OS.

ZnU
I've asked this question quite a lot previously, but I'll ask it again:

Precisely what is supposed to be so much more compelling about OS X on, for instance, a Dell, vs. OS X on a Mac?

Mayor Of R'lyeh
The price of the HW...duh!

ZnU
OK, but as I've also mentioned many times before, it would be far easier for Apple to get OS X on cheaper machines by simply offering cheaper Macs than by attempting to support a substantial fraction of the hardware out there in the generic x86 world.

Mayor Of R'lyeh
I think the desire for MacOS X on generic HW largely stems from the realization that Apple isn't going to do that.

Apple is more likely to ship cheaper Macs than to officially offer OS X for non-Apple hardware, so that doesn't make much sense.

I rather suspect most people who call for OS X on generic x86 hardware just haven't considered the logistics of supporting generic hardware vs. simply selling cheaper Macs. The rest are simply people who believe multi-vendor hardware platforms are inherently good, usually for some reason that isn't relevant to most users or to current market conditions.

-- "More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming out any other way." --George W. Bush in Martinsburg, W. Va., July 4, 2007

George Graves (13h & 15m) > ZnU