Re: mac sales down

ZnU
SubjectRe: mac sales down
FromZnU
Date05/14/2008 21:15 (05/14/2008 15:15)
Message-ID<znu-54DEB9.15155214052008@news.individual.net>
FollowsGlorb
FollowupsMayor Of R'lyeh (7h & 53m) > ZnU

In article <9d3ba$482b0713$7863@news.teranews.com>, Glorb <Glorb@orb.com>wrote:

Glorb
ZnU wrote:

ZnU
Most customers in the market for a $300 or $400 computer aren't what we might call "performance enthusiasts". They want a basic computer for web browsing and other simple tasks. This is basically what the Mac mini is... it just costs more because it has a somewhat better processor than many machines in the sub-$400 range, and there are costs associated with making it so small.

Glorb
Why are you going to the "sub-$400 range?" Why not look at the $400 - $600 range, that gives the same or better processors than the mini, and lots more other hardware, for the same price as a Mini or less?

I think a lot of low-end users don't care much more about tech specs than they do about form factor. So, making the low-end model larger and cheaper would probably create more interest than making it larger and faster.

I know there's a constituency on Usenet that desperately wants a reasonably fast sub-$1000 expandable tower from Apple. But my impression is that these folks are mostly computer enthusiasts, and that general users have different priorities.

-- "More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming out any other way." ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? --George W. Bush in Martinsburg, W. Va., July 4, 2007

Mayor Of R'lyeh (7h & 53m) > ZnU