Re: mac sales down

ZnU
SubjectRe: mac sales down
FromZnU
Date05/17/2008 00:16 (05/16/2008 18:16)
Message-ID<znu-3DD974.18160216052008@news.individual.net>
FollowsSteve Carroll
FollowupsMayor Of R'lyeh (58m) > ZnU

In article <trollkiller-FB48FC.14541316052008@newsgroups.comcast.net>, Steve Carroll <trollkiller@TK.com>wrote:

Steve Carroll
In article <znu-674B86.14562616052008@news.individual.net>, ZnU <znu@fake.invalid>wrote:

ZnU
In article <trollkiller-A020E2.10263116052008@newsgroups.comcast.net>, Steve Carroll <trollkiller@TK.com>wrote:

Steve Carroll
"right-wing fantasy world"? LOL! The "outcome" being produced in this "real world" market is what it is and the Mini is tanking in that market!

ZnU
Please read above. Mayor didn't appear to be talking specifically about the Mac mini.

Steve Carroll
I was obviously making a counterpoint of my own to your argument about "real world" markets and I'm using the Mini as one example of how your "outcome" argument fails. In my opinion it's the best example I could use because it's the only model that even attempts to compete where the average system price lives... a segment Apple basically ignores. Don't think I haven't noticed that you've snipped away my material that broached this subject. You know you can't discuss it and you know what it does to your argument here... so away it went while you apparently expect me to listen to your rationalization.

I honestly have no idea what you're talking about. I've said the Mac mini isn't particularly competitive at the moment, and I've said it probably isn't even designed with the right criteria to appeal to low-end users. You seem to be arguing with me as if I haven't.

And Any comments you made specifically about the Mac mini couldn't possibly form a logically valid counterpoint to my comments about market outcomes in this sub-thread. Holding up a single example of the market not choosing a product for substantive reasons does nothing to demonstrate that substantive reasons exist in all cases where the market doesn't choose a product.

[snip]

ZnU
His response is that we don't need to invent such hypothetical use cases, because buying patterns within the market already tell us precisely what systems are more suitable for users.

Steve Carroll
Why do I feel like I'm about to hear the ol' 'People aren't smart enough to know what's suitable for them' argument?

It's not that they're not "smart enough". It's that they very often make decisions for reasons that have no real place in an meaningful discussion about the merits of various systems. Reasons like "I'm going to buy another Windows machine because I don't want to have to learn something new". Or even "I'm going to go down to <local retail store> and get a new computer", with no particular consideration that a Mac (which <local retail store>probably doesn't carry) might be a better choice.

[snip]

-- "More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming out any other way." ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? --George W. Bush in Martinsburg, W. Va., July 4, 2007