Re: mac sales down

ZnU
SubjectRe: mac sales down
FromZnU
Date05/13/2008 06:48 (05/13/2008 00:48)
Message-ID<znu-B0A3F0.00485313052008@news.individual.net>
FollowsGeorge Graves
FollowupsGlorb (1d, 10h & 47m) > ZnU

In article <0001HW.C44E0B6D0013A539F01846D8@news.comcast.net>, George Graves <gmgraves2@comcast.net>wrote:

George Graves
On Mon, 12 May 2008 13:18:23 -0700, ZnU wrote (in article <znu-5B168E.16182312052008@news.individual.net>):

ZnU
In article <0001HW.C44DEAC5000BFDC2F01846D8@news.comcast.net>, George Graves <gmgraves2@comcast.net>wrote:

Will they do it? I don't see them having much interest, at the moment. But who anticipated the Mac mini, introduced as a $500 Mac when the cheapest Mac was previously nearly twice that price, or the Xserve, a product targeted at a market in which Apple had previously shown no interest at all?

George Graves
The thing is that any computer designed to compete in that space would have to be more computer than the Mini.

Most customers in the market for a $300 or $400 computer aren't what we might call "performance enthusiasts". They want a basic computer for web browsing and other simple tasks. This is basically what the Mac mini is... it just costs more because it has a somewhat better processor than many machines in the sub-$400 range, and there are costs associated with making it so small.

[snip]

-- "More than two decades later, it is hard to imagine the Revolutionary War coming out any other way." --George W. Bush in Martinsburg, W. Va., July 4, 2007

Glorb (1d, 10h & 47m) > ZnU