Re: I've seen LOTR

Jostein Hakestad
SubjectRe: I've seen LOTR
FromJostein Hakestad
Date01/28/2002 00:54 (01/28/2002 00:54)
Message-ID<3C549346.8B348C51@online.no>
Client
Newsgroupsrec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
FollowsRimrunner

Rimrunner wrote:

Rimrunner
On Sun, 27 Jan 2002 14:14:20 GMT, Jostein Hakestad <audjh@online.no>wrote:

Jostein Hakestad
Rimrunner wrote:

Rimrunner
Well...at least he's not James Horner. Ick.

Jostein Hakestad
What is that supposed to mean?

James Horner is one of the best composers ever to work in film.

He's written more than TITANIC, you know.

Rimrunner
Duh.

He has done some good scores. I liked the one for "Searching for Bobby Fischer"; unusually understated for Horner. And a lot of the music for "Apollo 13".

But some of his work, well, aural treacle is the best description I can come up with.

Heheh, well each to his/her own :-)

Liked the score, hated the movie. God, "The Cell" was awful.

Funny thing--I listened to the Harry Potter score right after the FotR score, because I was doing this compare-contrast thing for one of the 'zines I write for. And while it occurred to me to wonder what a Williams FotR score would sound like, I found myself glad that he hadn't done it.

Not that the HP score is bad, but Williams doesn't really seem to do big, sound-and-fury type scores anymore.

Jostein Hakestad
He did one two years ago, called The Phantom Menace.

Rimrunner
Yeah, and most of it was re-arranged versions of music he composed 20 years ago. Though "Duel of the Fates" is good.

Actually, it only contains a few snippets of the other scores (aside from the Force theme, and the SW theme of course).

I think a LotR score by Williams would sound like Williams. His style's among the most identifiable in film music. That's not a bad thing, but I haven't heard anything in recent years that I'd describe as especially groundbreaking. Admittedly I haven't seen every movie he's scored, though.

Have you heard Artificial Intelligence? Brilliant.

Jostein Hakestad
Williams would have written a masterpiece if he had been given the chance.

Rimrunner
Masterpiece is not a word I apply that liberally.

I am quite liberal in using the word "masterpiece" when it comes to Williams. He's written several.

-- Jostein H