Re: I've seen LOTR

Oliver J. Hanau
SubjectRe: I've seen LOTR
FromOliver J. Hanau
Date01/27/2002 12:04 (01/27/2002 12:04)
Message-ID<a30pue$14l3mh$2@ID-35218.news.dfncis.de>
Client
Newsgroupsrec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
FollowsRimrunner
FollowupsRimrunner (6h & 49m) > Oliver J. Hanau

Rimrunner wrote:

Oliver J. Hanau
"Laden with choruses?" Watch "Crimson Tide" or "The Peacemaker" or almost anything else by my dear compatriot Hans Zimmer and then come back to talk about laden with choruses.

Rimrunner
Well...at least he's not James Horner. Ick.

What I've seen from them as people, I like them both equally as much (ick, indeed). But at least once in a long while, Horner has his inspired couple o' weeks and turns out a great, original score. The last time I'm aware of was in 1995 when he wrote "Casper;" and "Apollo 13" and "Legends of the Fall" aren't too shabby either.

I've taken to writing to it. It's just about the right length for my daily attempts to turn out deathless (or at least saleable) prose.

I can only ever write to more subdued, or at least non-threatening, scores. John Williams' "Amistad" is a particular favourite for that purpose, but I go as far as CE3K, "Hook", "The Lost Word", "A.I." or "Nixon" (Williams slut? Moi?) or James Newton Howard's "Unbreakable". I've tried "Batman Returns" (Elfman) and "Dark City" (Trevor Jones) but that ... didn't work out. I wrote nothing at all and was just very pissed off after half an hour.

Not that the HP score is bad

I loved it when I first bought it, but now I find it a bit uninspired overall, and Hedwig's theme, as beautiful as it is, drives me nuts 'cause it just appears everywhere.

but Williams doesn't really seem to do big, sound-and-fury type scores anymore.

Unfortunately. Still, I count the days until the AOTC score, naturally.

ooh, can't wait for the ents! *bounce*

The fun thing for me is, I've read the books once, about fifteen years ago when I was in eighth grade or so. I barely remember what an ent is, but I have absolutely no idea anymore what is going to happen in parts 2 & three.

Oliver.