Re: I've seen LOTR

Jostein Hakestad
SubjectRe: I've seen LOTR
FromJostein Hakestad
Date01/27/2002 15:11 (01/27/2002 15:11)
Message-ID<3C540A87.863A4B36@online.no>
Client
Newsgroupsrec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
FollowsOliver J. Hanau

"Oliver J. Hanau" wrote:

Oliver J. Hanau
I wasn't comparing them either. I just noticed that LotR excited me like no score since "Unbreakable", "Casper" or even the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" reissue. Or any of the SW re-releases.

Can't say I agree there, but I *do* think LOTR is a great score.

Just not a classic on the level of Raiders of the Lost Ark. At least not yet.

I'm terribly bad at recognizing themes when I'm not hit over the head with them. Just yesterday when I put LotR on, I noticed a very early instance of the Fellowship theme (forgot where, though). However, Shore himself said the score warranted a more complete release (http://www.soundtrack.net/features/article/?id=89).

I can recognize themes pretty easily. I don't know how I do it, though. I just hear it.

Jostein Hakestad
The main title would be cool to have, because it uses the theme from "The Great River"

Oliver J. Hanau
Needless to say, I have no clue at this point what the "theme from 'The Great River'" is.

It's a theme/motif that I think Shore uses to create a feeling of old age, worlds long gone. For example, it plays when Galadriel says "The world has changed" in the main title, and it also plays when they see the great statues while sailing down the river (major spine-tingle moment, by the way)

But I'm working on it. Only took me ten years or so to figure out that my favourite part from "The Throne Room" (ANH) and basically all of "Funeral Pyre for a Jedi" (ROTJ) were the Force theme. :-)

Hehehe...

Well, Star Wars has such incredible depth, and so many themes, that it *can* get a bit confusing.

That it is. (The only thing I ever heard in the movie that I miss on the CD is the statement of the first half of the Fellowship theme when the hobbits first leave Bree with Aragorn.) However, I decided long ago that I'd willingly let myself be ripped off by re-releases of Star Wars scores and movies, and I guess the same goes for LotR. (This time, I'd like lyrics and translations for all of the choral stuff, please.)

Yup, I'll probably buy anything they throw at me, as well.

-- Jostein H