Re: I've seen LOTR

Rimrunner
SubjectRe: I've seen LOTR
FromRimrunner
Date01/21/2002 22:06 (01/21/2002 21:06)
Message-ID<slrna4p0mo.16n.rimrun@drizzle.com>
Client
Newsgroupsrec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
FollowsPolicrat

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 19:58:02 +0000, Policrat' <policraticus@hotmail.com>wrote:

Policrat
Do not underestimate the power of the Dark Rimrunner:

On 20 Jan 2002 16:01:20 -0800, ObeeKris <obeekris@hotmail.com>wrote:

Bill Anderson
Bill Anderson <billanderson601@yahoo.com>wrote:

C'Pi
C'Pi wrote:

Pleasurable to see. Entertaining to watch. All the emotional depth of a wet Kleenex.

Bill Anderson
I'll have you know that I've known some wet Kleenexes (Kleenexi?) that can get very emotional. Of course, some of them have a tendency to post here. :)

Verklempt, c'est moi.

I cried at least twice the first time I saw the dang movie, and you know what? I don't care that y'all know that, now.

Policrat
That's... *sniff*... so... *sniffle*... cute...

Like pink bunny rabbits, yeah yeah yeah...

I hope they do The Hobbit. Give me Gandalf and Bilbo and forget everybody else.

Bill Anderson
Including the dozen dwarfs they go running around with?

That would sorta defeat the purpose...

Policrat
"Bilbo and the Twelve Dwarfs"

Hee!

C'Pi
and lovers in the moonlight,

Bill Anderson
I envy Viggo Mortenson.

I'll take 'im.

Policrat
You would!

Yeah, like you're surprised.

[snip]

I figured going in that even if the rest of the movie sucked, he'd be good. Big, big fan of his.

And his pointy hat?

The hat is really cool. I loved it because it's so overstated--I mean, it's like he's got an umbrella on his head. But it's the perfect wizard hat. I could totally imagine him keeping, say, a bottle of brandy in it, like the wizards of Pratchett's Discworld are said to do.

Bill Anderson
Viggo Mortenson as Aragorn. I thought he did a wonderful job with him, making him even cooler than in the book. I envy him for the kiss with Liv Tyler.

Hee hee. Me, I just, uh, drooled a lot. Or something. I do think he did a very good job. The finale with the orcs was fabulous. (I thought Lawrence Makaore was good too, and *he* had several inches of latex to act through. And not much in the way of lines, either, aside from the growling.)

Policrat
Hang on... Sauraman's Wehrmacht were... Maoris...?

The leader was, at the very least. I think the actor's slated to be a Bond villain or something next. I don't know about the others.

At least some of the choral work on the soundtrack was done by a Maori choral ensemble, though.

Someone shoot George. Now.

Which George?

[snip]

Bill Anderson
The giant stone trolls in the background.

That was great. I also liked the use of maps and so forth right out of the books.

Policrat
Aye... though what language were they written in?

Isn't Westron supposed to be English anyway?

[snip]

And Gandalf's hat.

<echo> And his pointy hat... </echo>

Totally diggin' the pointy hat.

Bill Anderson
The dislikes (A much shorter list): The way the Hobbits leave the Shire. I think they could have done it just as shown in the book, with a few judiciously used captions.

Mm, I keep going back and forth on that. A little more detail would've been nice...on the other hand, the movie's running time stands at 2:58 and a great deal was cut. I've heard varying lengths for the director's cut; the one I hear most often is 4:30. Dunno what else they could remove to make room for more exposition on the hobbits leaving the shire.

Policrat
C'mon... they were obeying orders... which made sense...

Or at least, Frodo and Sam were. Merry and Pippin joining them is never really explained, I chalk it up to them basically being hobbit teenagers (aren't they in their late 20s?) and going, "Adventure! Cool!" and not really realizing what they've gotten into until they lose Gandalf.

[snip stuff about ending]

Bill Anderson
Save for Gandalf, he knows best what dangers S&F are facing on the road to Mordor. "Their destiny lies along a different path." Well dammit, walk the path with them.

You could make that argument for how the book ends too, though. Aragorn decides to follow Merry and Pippin because the orcs leave a trail a blind rabbit could detect. "I must follow those whose trail I am sure of." Um, this *Ranger* isn't capable of tracking Frodo and Sam into Emyn Muil? Uh-huh. Methinks Tolkien just decided the group had to split up there, one way or the other.

Policrat
Consider, Frodo has gone across open water... are Rangers *that* good? Also, Aragorn probably *knows*... or maybe he's just a coward, reckons that Isengard is safer than Mordor... or maybe something dark deep inside him knows what the King-of-Gondor th?ng is with the ring... or maybe he knows that he couldn't keep away from the ring if he followed Frodo...?

Well, in the book they *do* figure out where Frodo likely went, taking into account the missing boat, plus the missing Sam (and the missing Sam's gear). Conceivably they could cross the river and find the trail.

Then again, Aragorn spends a lot of the first few chapter of "The Two Towers" second-guessing himself and wondering if he's made the right decision, so you might have something there.

Bill Anderson
Other random stuff: In the battle at the beginning, why the heck wasn't Elrond wearing a helmet of some sort? *Everybody* else is except for him.

Star Power. (Yeah, yeah, I know. Uh, maybe so he could be heard more clearly?)

Policrat
The ears...

I like the pointy ears, too.

Didja ever see "Record of Lodoss War"? Japanime meets D&D, a lot of fun. That elf, though, has got ears that would rival Yoda's.

[snip]

Bill Anderson
I think they should have done something to indicate that the movie is going to be continued in "The Two Towers." At least a comment or something right after the shot of Sam and Frodo, but right before the credits. Because I have heard a couple of comments along the lines of "That's it? What happens next?" They should have done something for those who aren't aware that it's the first part of a trilogy.

At least one of the trailers out there makes it clear that a trilogy is to be expected. But yeah, a "To be continued" or something would've been nice.

Policrat
It's fairly *obvious*...

True. Audiences, however, can be fairly obtuse.

Bill Anderson
I don't want to wait another 11 months for "The Two Towers."

Me either.

Policrat
Aww...

Meanwhile, I'm going to console myself with "Black Hawk Down". I don't expect that Ridley Scott will entirely redeem himself in my eyes, but we'll see. Besides, from a totally fluffy, ignoring-the-subject-matter point of view, it's got Ewan *and* Orlando in it.

And it's got to be better than "Pearl Harbor", part of which I saw last night. Yuck.

-g, i'll take tora tora tora, thanks -- WORDS FOR SALE: http://www.drizzle.com/~rimrun/words.html "An artist's expression is his soul made apparent." -- Bruce Lee