Re: It's over, Apple was ri...

ed
SubjectRe: It's over, Apple was right...
Fromed
Date08/22/2012 07:54 (08/21/2012 22:54)
Message-ID<00c2d293-f808-4d4a-be7b-8f0889ff8777@googlegroups.com>
FollowsLloyd
FollowupsLloyd (6h & 32m) > ed

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 8:13:40 PM UTC-7, Lloyd wrote:

Lloyd
In article <ee41cef0-bb0a-4412-b9b5-49a3ad7e16f1@googlegroups.com>, ed <news@atwistedweb.com>wrote:

ed
On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 5:19:48 PM UTC-7, Lloyd wrote:

In article <38eb4fa9-4e45-4e5b-8085-8c96972c1d16@googlegroups.com>,

Leave Hulu out of it as they have non-flash video without subscription.

wait, what? where?

Pony up the $ and they'll show you.

eh? seriously, what are you talking about? what would i be ponying up the money for, specifically? if i wanted to pony up the money, what would i be asking for? and how does that jive with the "without subscription" comment? are you implying you buy a device or pay a one time fee or something?

Lloyd
Either I'm not explaining right, or you're being obtuse.

you are most definitely not explaining something right. some of your sentences don't even make sense. :D

Free Hulu does not need flash. But if you want to use it, Hulu has made sure you have flash or get Hulu+.

um, what? afaik, free hulu most certainly seems like it needs flash. hulu+ is different- flash on computers, non flash on other devices.

Other than getting money from you, there is no technical reason.

is your entire argument that it doesn't need flash technically? yeah, we all no that. they can deliver it however they want. i'm talking about what's needed, as a consumer, to actually get it, with the services they provide.

At one time I checked on Hulu with a machine that didn't have Flash installed at all and it worked fine. It was early on in Hulu's changeover, so it was very limited. But I've read in many places that Hulu doesn't need flash at all anymore. The fact that their site won't work with a browser in iOS devices or the PS3 is all about getting the bucks and nothing about the technology.

ed
like what places?

Lloyd
Good Lord! Ed, I read all over the place nearly every day and couldn't tell you where I read about it.

and i probably read a lot of the same places, and have never, ever seen that you didn't need flash for hulu's free services. and a google search doesn't find anything either, hence my question.

ed
and of course it's all about the money. hulu has worked (and continues to work with simple hacks) on a variety of devices not officially supported (hulu does ua checks on flash capable devices, including ps3 which can technically run hulu in it's browser (and wasn't blocked before)). ...

Lloyd
Yep, the PS3 is fully capable of getting the free Hulu had not Hulu,

eh? you mean free hulu and not hulu+? because it's free hulu that's blocked on ps3, and hulu+ is available.

and probably Sony, doing blocks to keep it from working.

no, it's hulu blocking it. they do a ua check (browser and flash plugin).

And it is those blocks that keep the portables from getting free Hulu without a hack. Nothing to do with actually needing Flash.

except actually needing it, as a consumer, to get it.

Lloyd (6h & 32m) > ed