Re: The Lone Alien theory

Thomas S. McDonald esquire
SubjectRe: The Lone Alien theory
FromThomas S. McDonald esquire
Date07/18/2001 12:09 (07/18/2001 12:09)
Message-ID<Tfd57.8655$gj1.827906@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.cult-movies.alien
FollowsRobbie Grant
FollowupsRobbie Grant (1d, 3h & 39m) > Thomas S. McDonald esquire

"Robbie Grant" <randrgrant@ozemail.com.au>wrote in message news:3B54DBEC.6249F666@ozemail.com.au... [>I like the original life cycle, even though it may go against Alien3. I don't like it because it contradicts the previous movies for no apparent reason.]

Robbie Grant
Well, as you've just reminded me, it doesn't really go against alien3. As for the "serves no purpose" thing, I just can't see you actually believing that. Having the aliens as bioweapons serves no purpose, yet you seem quite taken with that idea. There is simply no need to explain the origins of the alien in such a way. It adds *way* more complexity, bringing in a whole new race, probably two (unless they were fighting a civil war), and brings in the possibility that there could be other alien-type races, possibly far stronger, floating around out there.

The Aliens being good bioweapons, or a good base to build a bioweapon off of, underscores the utter ruthlessness of "The Company", the nebulous concept of them. They who are the real and untouchable villains in the series. It's interesting that even Burke, a low level drone, who's just smart enough to be unhealthy, is evil, yet strangely likeable. Aliens certainly would make a fairly effective and terrible smart bomb. Hence the obvious direction of the miserable Alien Resurrection. In fact the idea of humans using the Aliens as bioweapons is deeply ingrained into the series, why would it be so far fetched that the space jockeys might see the same utility? More over, what possible reason would anyone have to transport such an obviously hazardous cargo? Its not like the Aliens ever did anything other than kill, and wait to kill some more.

Any new film is going to have a gimmick,

Keith Hazelwood
Not necessarily.

Robbie Grant
No, not necessarily, but it's a fairly good practical assumption.

Plots tend to have plot devices. It's one of those things.

Some good, some involve pumpkin head somehow wandering on to the set of an Alien movie.