Re: The Lone Alien theory

Covenant
SubjectRe: The Lone Alien theory
FromCovenant
Date07/16/2001 00:50 (07/15/2001 23:50)
Message-ID<9it6o1$ius$2@news5.svr.pol.co.uk>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.cult-movies.alien
FollowsKeith Hazelwood

"Keith Hazelwood" <nospam@nospam.net>wrote in message

Keith Hazelwood
To my mind, that's a deliberately *engineered* weak link designed to intentionally prevent out-of-control breeding. The beauty of the aliens as bioweapons is that they'll age quickly and die out once a given target area is exhausted of viable hosts. It therefore seems plainly obvious to me that their creators didn't want them to survive and procreate indefinitely.

But who said they *were* engineered bio weapons ??

;' ))

You can't have one NON canon thing to decry another bud..

If you view them as bio weapons due to the original ideas of Ridley and Giger, then surely you must also accept the lifecycle which was filmed, and only cut due to *time* limitations, not species viability...

That aside... engineered or not, that, again, is something which makes them *special* the fact that they *can* go beyond what was originally intended for them.

(After all, if what you say is true above... (the weapon clearing out the area), you must remember that the alien will then multiply dependant upon how many *victims* there are, (some loss due to straight deaths) but beyond that... if they *were* bio engineered...... where do the queen eggs come from? Surely the would be engineered especially NOT to create their own reproductive host?

And if an egg can be laid that will create a quen, *there* is a flaw in the engineering.. so, if there is *one* flaw, who not another?

The fact that it's a stretch at all, while serving to explain nothing, is what I object to.

Covenant
Ah, but it isn't a stretch y'see....

Keith Hazelwood
YOU said it's a stretch. A small stretch is still a stretch.

You're right, I didn't term it very well at first. I don't believe it *is* a stretch at all.

Covenant
If t can happen here, now, on Earth... Why not in a species who's *sole* purpose (so it seems) is to survive and reproduce?

Keith Hazelwood
That's the sole purpose of EVERY species, Cov.

Preecisely....

Yet most, with the exception of your Jurassic Park frogs, didn't evolve with alternate modes of reproduction to ensure their continued survival.

Then why did they evolve it Keith? You can't say they didn't evolve it in order to ensure their survival if they didn't actually evolve it!!

If there are NO males one of them actually changes sex to be able to procreate.

THAT ensures their species' (as far as THEY are concenred) survival. These things exist...

Same with the alien... Lone hatchee... no Queen? Fair enough, time for a live host to get cucooned and egged...

Where is the great leap of faith needed to see that as viable?

It's a built in *redundancy* for want of a better phrase... Something which adds to it's *alien-icity*, adds to it's uniqueness and also adds to it's somewhat banded around description as a perfect organism...

So... there's the logic.. where's the problem?

-- Covenant A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands