Re: The Lone Alien theory

Robbie Grant
SubjectRe: The Lone Alien theory
FromRobbie Grant
Date07/16/2001 03:47 (07/16/2001 11:47)
Message-ID<3B5247A1.C71F7BFC@ozemail.com.au>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.cult-movies.alien
FollowsKeith Hazelwood
FollowupsKeith Hazelwood (3h & 9m) > Robbie Grant

Keith Hazelwood wrote:

Covenant
We are discussing the *neccessity* of the (In your mind) second Lifecycle... And, regarding a creature that is supposed to be *so* far removed from anything we have ever encountered (in the future obv.) One that is supposed to be THE ultimate survivor, one would naturally assume that said creature would have a way of 8surviving* and prolifegating the species if it were *hatched* alone. (To MY mind the weakest link in the entire cycle...

Keith Hazelwood
To my mind, that's a deliberately *engineered* weak link designed to intentionally prevent out-of-control breeding. The beauty of the aliens as bioweapons is that they'll age quickly and die out once a given target area is exhausted of viable hosts. It therefore seems plainly obvious to me that their creators didn't want them to survive and procreate indefinitely.

Well, it's hardly fair that you lambaste the rest of us for "pure, speculator conjecture", and then go and make statements like this. You can't defend this weakness of the alien by saying "but that's necessary given that the alien is a bioweapon" any more than anyone else can say "but two modes of reproduction are necessary given that the alien is the perfect organism". We don't know that the alien was in any way *designed*, as opposed to merely evolving; or even, if it were designed, for what purpose. We also, btw, don't know that the aliens age quickly and die. Pure unnecessary conjecture (which *I* have no problem with) from one moment in the first film, that was contradicted by the second.

Covenant
Why not in a species who's *sole* purpose (so it seems) is to survive and reproduce?

Keith Hazelwood
That's the sole purpose of EVERY species, Cov. Yet most, with the exception of your Jurassic Park frogs, didn't evolve with alternate modes of reproduction to ensure their continued survival.

Actually, as I've stated, I'm fairly sure that some have. And even if none did, that's no reason to assume that none ever could.

Keith "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." -Delos McKown

-- *The Fuzz* You are about to begin reading The Fuzz's new sig. Relax. Concentrate. Dispel every other thought. -"And after that, my guess is you'll never hear from him again"- | http://www.ozemail.com.au/~randrgrant \ / "For such is the nature of men, that howsoever they -- O O -- may acknowledge many others to be more witty, or more / \ eloquent, or more learned; yet they will hardly believe _| |_ there be many so wise as themselves...