Re: The Lone Alien theory

Robbie Grant
SubjectRe: The Lone Alien theory
FromRobbie Grant
Date07/18/2001 02:24 (07/18/2001 10:24)
Message-ID<3B54D730.850979B8@ozemail.com.au>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.cult-movies.alien
FollowsKeith Hazelwood
FollowupsKeith Hazelwood (5h & 27m) > Robbie Grant

Keith Hazelwood wrote:

Keith Hazelwood
I didn't say that they ARE bioweapons

"To my mind, that's a deliberately *engineered* weak link designed to intentionally prevent out-of-control breeding. The beauty of the *aliens as bioweapons*..." "It therefore seems plainly obvious to me that *their creators* didn't want them to survive and procreate indefinitely."

While maybe you're not saying that the aliens *are* bioweapons (although it does sound an awful lot like that), you're at least saying that you view them as such. With no proof (or necessity) whatsoever. No-one here is saying that the aliens *do* have an alternate lifecycle -- merely that they could, and that fans who were so disposed could view the alien that way (or not) if it suited their fancy.

, although it's *generally agreed

upon* that they are.

Not by me. Not that I have any problem with you seeing them that way: I just prefer the idea of them being the ultimate Darwinian nightmare, as I've posted before.

Robbie Grant
any more than anyone else can say "but two modes of reproduction are necessary given that the alien is the perfect organism".

Keith Hazelwood
"Perfect organism" is too abstract. At least rationalizing their strengths and weaknesses based on their conjectural role as genetically engineered bioweapons gives us something relatively concrete to work with.

It doesn't matter. Both are pulled out of thin air, and have very little with which to back themselves up. A flight of fancy is a flight of fancy.

Robbie Grant
We also, btw, don't know that the aliens age quickly and die.

Keith Hazelwood
We know for a *fact* they age quickly. The ones in Alien and Alien 3 went from "infancy" to adulthood within a day. This indicates a short lifespan.

No, it indicates a short larval stage. It says nothing about how long the alien will live.

Robbie Grant
Pure unnecessary conjecture (which *I* have no problem with) from one moment in the first film, that was contradicted by the second.

Keith Hazelwood
How did the second film contradict it? The infestation of the colony happened only within the space of weeks, perhaps a couple of months, given the abrupt loss of contact with Earth and the Sulaco's three week transit time from Gateway station to Acheron.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the fact that the alien slowed down in the last bit of Alien, indicating that it would have an *extremely* short lifespan.

That's the sole purpose of EVERY species, Cov. Yet most, with the exception of your Jurassic Park frogs, didn't evolve with alternate modes of reproduction to ensure their continued survival.

Robbie Grant
Actually, as I've stated, I'm fairly sure that some have.

Keith Hazelwood
Well that's convincing.

Look, I told you about the trees, and Swarve mentioned grass. I'm sure there are others -- do I *really* have to go and look them up?

Robbie Grant
And even if none did, that's no reason to assume that none ever could.

Keith Hazelwood
There's no reason to assume I can't sprout wings and fly, but that doesn't make the possibility any less silly.

In reality, no. But we're talking about movies. Tsk, tsk... and *you* told *me* that strawmen were bad...

-- *The Fuzz* You are about to begin reading The Fuzz's new sig. Relax. Concentrate. Dispel every other thought. -"And after that, my guess is you'll never hear from him again"- | http://www.ozemail.com.au/~randrgrant \ / "For such is the nature of men, that howsoever they -- O O -- may acknowledge many others to be more witty, or more / \ eloquent, or more learned; yet they will hardly believe _| |_ there be many so wise as themselves...