Re: The Lone Alien theory

Keith Hazelwood
SubjectRe: The Lone Alien theory
FromKeith Hazelwood
Date07/16/2001 06:57 (07/16/2001 06:57)
Message-ID<m0t4ltcnujrtigea3528253470ubfksc4q@4ax.com>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.cult-movies.alien
FollowsRobbie Grant
FollowupsRobbie Grant (1d, 19h & 27m) > Keith Hazelwood

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 11:47:13 +1000, Robbie Grant <randrgrant@ozemail.com.au>wrote:

Robbie Grant
Well, it's hardly fair that you lambaste the rest of us for "pure, speculator conjecture", and then go and make statements like this. You can't defend this weakness of the alien by saying "but that's necessary given that the alien is a bioweapon"

I didn't say that they ARE bioweapons, although it's *generally agreed upon* that they are.

any more than anyone else can say "but two modes of reproduction are necessary given that the alien is the perfect organism".

"Perfect organism" is too abstract. At least rationalizing their strengths and weaknesses based on their conjectural role as genetically engineered bioweapons gives us something relatively concrete to work with.

We don't know that the alien was in any way *designed*, as opposed to merely evolving; or even, if it were designed, for what purpose.

Granted.

We also, btw, don't know that the aliens age quickly and die.

We know for a *fact* they age quickly. The ones in Alien and Alien 3 went from "infancy" to adulthood within a day. This indicates a short lifespan.

Pure unnecessary conjecture (which *I* have no problem with) from one moment in the first film, that was contradicted by the second.

How did the second film contradict it? The infestation of the colony happened only within the space of weeks, perhaps a couple of months, given the abrupt loss of contact with Earth and the Sulaco's three week transit time from Gateway station to Acheron.

Keith Hazelwood
That's the sole purpose of EVERY species, Cov. Yet most, with the exception of your Jurassic Park frogs, didn't evolve with alternate modes of reproduction to ensure their continued survival.

Robbie Grant
Actually, as I've stated, I'm fairly sure that some have.

Well that's convincing.

And even if none did, that's no reason to assume that none ever could.

There's no reason to assume I can't sprout wings and fly, but that doesn't make the possibility any less silly.

Keith "In fact, when you get right down to it, almost every explanation Man came up with for *anything* until about 1926 was stupid." -Dave Barry

Robbie Grant (1d, 19h & 27m) > Keith Hazelwood