Re: The Lone Alien theory

Rob Padley
SubjectRe: The Lone Alien theory
FromRob Padley
Date07/12/2001 04:58 (07/12/2001 04:58)
Message-ID<B7728AC9.86A9%pickledpadley@mac.com>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.cult-movies.alien
FollowsKeith Hazelwood
FollowupsKeith Hazelwood (2h & 1m)

"I didn't mean to imply that a sequel's creative team should have free reign to ignore just anything that has gone before. Continuity is a big personal concern of mine."

Oh, well damn, this debate is starting to come to an end... must find.. a ... point to argue... but CAN'T!

"acid blood, was that unnecessary complexity?

Not at all."

But one alien making an egg when left in isolation from the hive is. WHY? KEITH WHY?

"No, its biological necessity was demonstrated in the original film when it prevented Ash from removing the facehugger from Kane's face. Parker said it best when he referred to the blood as a "wonderful defense mechanism" because without it the aliens would be at a severe disadvantage and highly vulnerable during embryo implantation."

Very true, very true, once again I can't argue with you there.

Abstract when defined as "stated without reference to a specific instance."

But then the film is set in the far future, that makes for a interesting question of how far has humanity evolved, cloning, cyborgs, androids, the hunt for perfection may have a narrower gap in the future? So the character of Ash stating that it is perfect holds more weight for me because he wasn't human, which leads me to...

The definition of perfection is highly subjective. What exactly *is* a "perfect organism?" See my point?

Yes, so when you argue that Ash said that as an abstract, I disagree because his character was not a human, computers have a tendency to be more logical than us meat-bags in science fiction, so if an android with no silly emotions getting in the way of performance, and a higher functioning 'brain' (for lack of a better word). Ash won't suffer from memory loss, so he has access to a vast library of encyclopedia in his 'brain' and he says that this alien is perfect must count for something. Of course you could put an even tougher alien in front of him and then he would have to say, "Oh sorry, that last one was not perfect, but this, this one is!" and my whole argument crashes and burns! ARGHHHHHHH.

Keith Hazelwood
The Newborn in AR was my flower/butt scene...

Well, i have to agree with you whole heartedly there Keith, the big pink sausage that was the Ripley/newborn was a big butt-flower.

Rob