Re: Pretty cool...

Nashton
SubjectRe: Pretty cool...
FromNashton
Date06/24/2013 21:46 (06/24/2013 16:46)
Message-ID<kqa7ln$958$1@speranza.aioe.org>
Followsed
FollowupsAlan Baker (27m)

On 06-24-13 2:31 PM, ed wrote:

ed
On Monday, June 24, 2013 10:16:25 AM UTC-7, Alan Baker wrote: ...

Alan Baker
The plan is to do stuff for my own projects and make it pay by doing architectural drawings for general contractors (not actual design, mind, just the drawings).

ed
i don't know if it's changed in the last few years, but solidworks was

not real solid (ha!) for architectural drawings a few years back- a lack

of architectural symbols and the like. you can download them (or create

them yourself), but it wasn't really designed for architecture and it

wasn't a strength.

It's merely for computer assisted design. And from what I know, architectural design is not what it is primarily for. It is used for product design and is an integral part of their manufacturing process.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SolidWorks

all that said, you have my curiosity piqued- is there a market for this

type of work? why wouldn't whoever is doing the design do the drawings?

Definitely. See above. I had used strata few years ago for models and artwork. Then I migrated to 3dsmax which was more comprehensive for modeling.