Re: Pretty cool...

Nashton
SubjectRe: Pretty cool...
FromNashton
Date06/24/2013 19:42 (06/24/2013 14:42)
Message-ID<kqa0ed$ik0$1@speranza.aioe.org>
FollowsSteve de Mena
FollowupsAlan Baker (14m)
gaztronomical@googlemail.com (2h & 43m)
Sandman (11h & 12m)

On 06-23-13 9:16 AM, Steve de Mena wrote:

Steve de Mena
On 6/14/13 4:02 PM, Flint wrote:

Flint
On 6/14/2013 5:50 PM, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
In article <56fc85cd-6d56-42d1-80c3-632b3483f37e@googlegroups.com>, ed <news@atwistedweb.com>wrote:

ed
On Tuesday, June 11, 2013 12:07:27 PM UTC-7, Gary wrote: ...

Gary
This is now proving that no longer do people have to follow the big noisysquare box in order to have a powerful pc.

ed
this was never something that needed to be 'proven' - it's been plenty evident. the primary reason for a big square box is internal expandability, and apple has essentially said, yeah, we don't think that's a big deal.

Sandman
Well, at least they're not saying that expandability isn't a big deal...

Flint
True. Frankly, this new design makes perfect sense (if only from Apple's POV, at the moment), and I see nothing wrong with the design metrics. I suspect that in a year or two, the PC market will follow suit in some form or another. In some respects, things like Intel's NUC and Gigabyte's BRIX units have already started down a similar path. I suspect this new Mac might finally spur some PC vendors to take thunderbolt/thunderbolt2 more seriously.

Steve de Mena
Are you going to buy a new Mac Pro, and if so, what would you use it for?

Steve

RAW photo editing with LR and CS. Huge RAW files to crunch through. OTOH, I can build my own PC for a fraction of what this cylindrical iteration of the Apple Cube will cost.

And a comment for Flint: That's a big "if." It remains to be seen if TB will catch on or whether it will remain out of the sphere of the power user/pro just as SCSI is for servers.