Re: Pretty cool...

Steve de Mena
SubjectRe: Pretty cool...
FromSteve de Mena
Date06/11/2013 11:38 (06/11/2013 02:38)
Message-ID<duOdnXNXvf6YbSvMnZ2dnUVZ_rCdnZ2d@giganews.com>
Follows-hh
Followups-hh (1h & 39m)

On 6/11/13 1:46 AM, -hh wrote:

-hh
Steve writes:

Steve de Mena
Right. What will the dimensions actually be when people add the expansion they used to be able to put inside. More cables and money for an ugly Thunderbolt chassis to hold 1-4 PCIe cards, plus one for a RAID drive system. It will end up taking more physical floor space than the current Mac Pro.

-hh
Yes, it looks likely. The counter-argument will provably be that high end Pros are on beefy networks and don't need much local storage.

Don't most homes have GigE switched "beefy networks"? I do. My NAS (Synology) even has dual GigE bonded (aggregated) connections to a Cisco switch. But it's not faster than internal storage, nor does the OS treat network drives the same way as local drives (for example, when you delete a file it's deleted forever, and for iTunes you can't physically move files around to different folders and expect iTunes to track those changes like you can with local discs).

You wouldn't rather have an updated cheese grater style Mac Pro with Thunderbolt2 and USB3 ports added?

Will have to wait for more information, such as price, all configuration options, reviews of fan noise and heat (which is blowing straight up now...)

Steve

-hh (1h & 39m)