Re: Pretty cool...

-hh
SubjectRe: Pretty cool...
From-hh
Date06/11/2013 13:17 (06/11/2013 04:17)
Message-ID<41c22d88-8cc4-4443-8b0d-dcf024e67abf@googlegroups.com>
FollowsSteve de Mena

Steve writes:=20

Steve de Mena
Don't most homes have GigE switched "beefy networks"? I do. My NAS=20 (Synology) even has dual GigE bonded (aggregated) connections to a=20 Cisco switch. But it's not faster than internal storage, nor does the=20 OS treat network drives the same way as local drives...

For home networks, I'd expect that the demographics who might buy a Mac Pro= have probably bought a GigE switch ... But they don't have a GigE connecti= on to a remote Cloud storage ... and even if they did, it still wouldn't be= as fast as a local HDD, nor be as logically as well integrated either. So= basically in all cases, it is not going to be as good as the current 'Stat= us Quo', even though the current isn't a SATA3.

You wouldn't rather have an updated cheese grater style Mac Pro with=20 Thunderbolt2 and USB3 ports added?=20

Sorry, I thought that that was intuitively obvious: for the things I need = from my Mac, an upgraded version of the 2012 form factor serves my needs be= tter.

Will have to wait for more information, such as price, all=20 configuration options, reviews of fan noise and heat (which is blowing=20 straight up now...)=20

Agreed. As innovative as the "Chimney Mac" is for fan/noise, with all of t= he local HDD media just got thrown under the bus bybeing forced into anothe= r enclosure (and invariably a 3rd party) the noise level of the SYSTEM will= be going up, not down. Frankly, I don't agree with (Alan's?) comment abou= t hiding HDD externals "under the desk", or whatever, as that location will= always be dirtier/dustier and prone to kinetic shock from foot kicks, vacu= ume cleaner hits, etc. the alternative would be rack mount, but that's a w= hole 'nother level for small users.

-hh