Re: Pretty cool...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Pretty cool...
Message-ID<mr-A3E067.13045711062013@News.Individual.NET>
FollowsSteve de Mena
FollowupsSteve de Mena (21h & 18m) > Sandman

In article <IrudnbQFIPtlDivMnZ2dnUVZ5gCdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@demena.com>wrote:

Alan Baker
Plus 4 USB3, HDMI 1.4, gigabit ethernet, and all ports light up for easier use when you turn the machine.

And 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0

All in a 10" high by 6.5" high cylinder.

Steve de Mena
Right. What will the dimensions actually be when people add the expansion they used to be able to put inside. More cables and money for an ugly Thunderbolt chassis to hold 1-4 PCIe cards, plus one for a RAID drive system. It will end up taking more physical floor space than the current Mac Pro.

Not for me. I don't need PCIe cards. Surely you're not applying criteria that only apply to some to all Mac Pro users?

Is one stuck with the AMD FirePro GPUs, no way to upgrade like the current Mac Pro?

Yeah, you're "stuck" with 12GB of VRAM that would edit full-resolution 4K video without breaking a sweat. Don't you feel trapped.

Single Xeon processor? No dual CPU option like today?

Only one socket in the images. Only 12 Xeon cores... buhu... :)

One has to reach around to the back to turn the damn thing on and off?

NO? SAY IT ISN'T SO???? THEY WON'T SELL A SINGLE ONE!!! :)

How do you connect multiple monitors to it? Do the Thunderbolt ports double as DisplayPorts?

There are six (6) thunderbolt ports on it. Each port can daisy-chain six devices. That's 36 Thunderbolt devices. Each port pumping 20Gb/s of data back and forth. No matter what you think about Apple or the Mac, that's just figures that are out of this world.

It also gives you a HDMI out and four USB3 ports (you know, for the old slow devices :)

Like Phil Schiller said: "No innovation, my ass". The Mac Pro is a powerhouse of innovations, from the ingenious thermal core that feeds air using one single fan to the *MASSIV* I/O this little desktop has.

You can connect three (3) 4K displays to this sucker. THREE. That's 24 *MEGAPIXELS* of resolution, or a desktop that is 11520x2160 in resolution. From this tiny little desktop.

I'm sorry, but someone not impressed by that is just plain old stupid as fuck. :)

The only drawback is that the current state of thunderbolt accessories is far from amazing, but hopefully that will change now that the pro market will SCREAM for it.

-- Sandman[.net]

Steve de Mena (21h & 18m) > Sandman