Re: Pretty cool...

Alan Baker
SubjectRe: Pretty cool...
FromAlan Baker
Date06/24/2013 19:38 (06/24/2013 10:38)
Message-ID<alangbaker-0AD29C.10382424062013@news.shawcable.net>
Followsed
FollowupsJ. Bird Song (2h & 20m) > Alan Baker

In article <f9ebec4c-f8bf-451c-b7f4-c7aa8f078b87@googlegroups.com>, ed <news@atwistedweb.com>wrote:

ed
On Monday, June 24, 2013 10:16:25 AM UTC-7, Alan Baker wrote: ...

Alan Baker
The plan is to do stuff for my own projects and make it pay by doing architectural drawings for general contractors (not actual design, mind, just the drawings).

ed
i don't know if it's changed in the last few years, but solidworks was not real solid (ha!) for architectural drawings a few years back- a lack of architectural symbols and the like. you can download them (or create them yourself), but it wasn't really designed for architecture and it wasn't a strength.

all that said, you have my curiosity piqued- is there a market for this type of work? why wouldn't whoever is doing the design do the drawings?

They will, but it's a bit like the law business: you need the exorbitant rate for the actual legal expertise, but they bite you with that same high rate for EVERYTHING.

The reason I'm now trying to do this is that my girlfriend's general contractor related to her what it had cost him to get construction drawings done after the design was completed.

If I can do a creditable job using SketchUp Pro and LayOut (which I already have done), then I'm pretty sure I can work out the necessary to do it in SolidWorks.

-- Alan Baker Vancouver, British Columbia "If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you sit in the bottom of that cupboard."