Re: Pretty cool...

Alan Baker
SubjectRe: Pretty cool...
FromAlan Baker
Date06/23/2013 18:22 (06/23/2013 09:22)
Message-ID<alangbaker-AABA05.09221023062013@news.shawcable.net>
FollowsSteve de Mena

In article <Hq6dnZbpS5Uae1vMnZ2dnUVZ5rSdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@demena.com>wrote:

Steve de Mena
On 6/14/13 11:22 AM, Alan Baker wrote:

Alan Baker
In article <ZbSdndUAtqYuhSfMnZ2dnUVZ5sqdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@demena.com>wrote:

Steve de Mena
On 6/12/13 11:24 AM, Alan Baker wrote:

Alan Baker
In article <PZednT6sYLSdrSXMnZ2dnUVZ5j2dnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@demena.com>wrote:

Steve de Mena
On 6/11/13 4:04 AM, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
In article <IrudnbQFIPtlDivMnZ2dnUVZ5gCdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@demena.com>wrote:

Alan Baker
Plus 4 USB3, HDMI 1.4, gigabit ethernet, and all ports light up for easier use when you turn the machine.

And 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0

All in a 10" high by 6.5" high cylinder.

Steve de Mena
Right. What will the dimensions actually be when people add the expansion they used to be able to put inside. More cables and money for an ugly Thunderbolt chassis to hold 1-4 PCIe cards, plus one for a RAID drive system. It will end up taking more physical floor space than the current Mac Pro.

Sandman
Not for me. I don't need PCIe cards. Surely you're not applying criteria that only apply to some to all Mac Pro users?

Steve de Mena
Should I only apply criteria that apply to all users? I'm a Pro user that this machine is targeted for. Audio professionals, especially Pro Tools users, generally use one or more PCIe slots.

Alan Baker
"Choice of HD Native Thunderbolt interface or PCIe card Unlike USB- or FireWire-based DAWs, which are inherently prone to latency, Pro Tools|HD Native employs either a high-speed Thunderbolt interface or PCIe core card to connect Pro Tools HD Series interfaces with your laptop or desktop computer. "

<http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-HD-native>

Steve de Mena
The Thunderbolt device is brand new. 1% of Pro Tools HD users probably own it.

It's also NOT sold separately.

I can't go buy the Thunderbolt version of my PCIe card without buying Pro Tools 11HD *and* and a minimum HD OMNI $3,000 audio interface. So it's 5-6 THOUSAND dollars to switch from my PCIe card to Thunderbolt. (If sold separately it would still be a $2,000 cost).

Alan Baker
How does any of that refute the fact that Pro Tools users no longer need to use PCIe slots.

Steve de Mena
You just expect us to chuck our current multi-thousand dollar cards and buy it all new? Plus the UAD Quad PCIe card I have is only available in a lower-performance FW800 version, UAD does not have a Thunderbolt card yet.

I don't expect YOU to do anything, Steve...

I have the Quad card: http://www.uaudio.com/uad-plug-ins/uad-2-pcie.html

The UAD-2 Satellite (Firewire) has performance limitations compared to the PCIe version I currently own. See 3rd note from the bottom at: http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/compatibility/instance-chart.html

The Avid Pro Tools system I have now (PCIe card plus HD I/O plus Pro Toold 10 HD) would have to be replaced by this $5,000 item: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HDX0M-TBIO/

Bottom line, you know nothing about Pro Tools so why are you discussing it? Does anyone here run a Pro Tools HD system?

Again, your claim was that audio users "generally" use PCIe cards, but there are clearly now options where they don't have to.

-- Alan Baker Vancouver, British Columbia "If you raise the ceiling four feet, move the fireplace from that wall to that wall, you'll still only get the full stereophonic effect if you sit in the bottom of that cupboard."