Re: Pretty cool...

Steve de Mena
SubjectRe: Pretty cool...
FromSteve de Mena
Date06/13/2013 21:08 (06/13/2013 12:08)
Message-ID<ZbSdndUAtqYuhSfMnZ2dnUVZ5sqdnZ2d@giganews.com>
FollowsAlan Baker
FollowupsSandman (9m)
Steve de Mena (6h & 44m)
Alan Baker (23h & 14m) > Steve de Mena

On 6/12/13 11:24 AM, Alan Baker wrote:

Alan Baker
In article <PZednT6sYLSdrSXMnZ2dnUVZ5j2dnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@demena.com>wrote:

Steve de Mena
On 6/11/13 4:04 AM, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
In article <IrudnbQFIPtlDivMnZ2dnUVZ5gCdnZ2d@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@demena.com>wrote:

Alan Baker
Plus 4 USB3, HDMI 1.4, gigabit ethernet, and all ports light up for easier use when you turn the machine.

And 802.11ac Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0

All in a 10" high by 6.5" high cylinder.

Steve de Mena
Right. What will the dimensions actually be when people add the expansion they used to be able to put inside. More cables and money for an ugly Thunderbolt chassis to hold 1-4 PCIe cards, plus one for a RAID drive system. It will end up taking more physical floor space than the current Mac Pro.

Sandman
Not for me. I don't need PCIe cards. Surely you're not applying criteria that only apply to some to all Mac Pro users?

Steve de Mena
Should I only apply criteria that apply to all users? I'm a Pro user that this machine is targeted for. Audio professionals, especially Pro Tools users, generally use one or more PCIe slots.

Alan Baker
"Choice of HD Native Thunderbolt interface or PCIe card Unlike USB- or FireWire-based DAWs, which are inherently prone to latency, Pro Tools|HD Native employs either a high-speed Thunderbolt interface or PCIe core card to connect Pro Tools HD Series interfaces with your laptop or desktop computer. "

<http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-HD-native>

The Thunderbolt device is brand new. 1% of Pro Tools HD users probably own it.

It's also NOT sold separately.

I can't go buy the Thunderbolt version of my PCIe card without buying Pro Tools 11HD *and* and a minimum HD OMNI $3,000 audio interface. So it's 5-6 THOUSAND dollars to switch from my PCIe card to Thunderbolt. (If sold separately it would still be a $2,000 cost).

Steve de Mena
Hope Thunderbolt devices don't peter out and die due to lackluster acceptance...

Alan Baker
<http://www.uaudio.com/interfaces/apollo.html>

<http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/symphony-io.php>

<http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudiothunderbolt/>

<https://thunderbolttechnology.net/products>

Doesn't seem to be a problem, Steve...

Wow, four. I bet you could have found another 3-4 too.

LOL

Sandman
It also gives you a HDMI out and four USB3 ports (you know, for the old slow devices :)

Steve de Mena
Wow, four USB ports. I'm impressed I have TWO 10-port USB powered hubs on my Mac Pro today,

Alan Baker
You have 20 USB devices you need to use simultaneously, do you?

Yes, close to that. Actually 21-22. USB list below. Haven't you caught on yet I'm not an iPhoto casual user?

Apple Keyboard Epson Scanner Dell Monitor 1 USB Hub 1 Dell Monitor 2 USB Hub 2 Card Reader iPhone 5 charger iPhone 4 charger base (occasional use only) iPad Charger Yamaha MOTIF-RACK XS Yamaha MOTIF-RACK ES Roland INTEGRA-7 Roland V-Synth XT Old Drobo iLok2 dongle eLicenser dongle ad-hoc USB drives (2-3 total) for backups M-Audio 4-port MIDI interface MOTU 8-port MIDI interface Native Instruments Maschine drum machine Korg M3 Synthesizer Wacom tablet wireless receiver

Steve