Re: USB 3.0 hubs that WORK ...

-hh
SubjectRe: USB 3.0 hubs that WORK on a new 15" Retina MacBook Pro
From-hh
Date11/18/2012 17:17 (11/18/2012 08:17)
Message-ID<7102cf8e-b191-412a-a2ca-a07d7dc722fb@o8g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>
FollowsLloyd

On Nov 18, 10:24=A0am, Lloyd <lloydpars...@me.com>wrote:

Lloyd
In article <slrnkahttd.c0j.g.kr...@mbp55.local>,

=A0Lewis <g.kr...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies>wrote:

Lewis
In message <slrnkaejbm.b35.g.kr...@mbp55.local> =A0 Lewis <g.kr...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies>wrote:

In message <lloydparsons-D36088.16320816112...@news.eternal-september=

.org>

=A0 Lloyd <lloydpars...@me.com>wrote:

In article <slrnkadeii.2oum.g.kr...@mbp55.local>, =A0Lewis <g.kr...@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies>wrote:

In message <df4f3106-316c-4f9a-aa7a-faf089034431@googlegroups.com> =A0 -hh <recscuba_goo...@huntzinger.com>wrote:

I think it was partially answered. =A0Steve apparently found that =

his

USB2 dongles worked ok through a USB2 hub, and similarly, the 3's =

on a

3 hub. =A0I don't recall noticing the 3's brand.

Possibly related to this is that I'm having a wired Logitek mouse disappear & reappear on USB2, even after I rewired to plug in the =

mouse

directly (no hub).

I have a 7-port USB2 hub that used to work, and now no longer works=

at

all. very annoying.

I'd like to get a USB4 hub, but I've found USB3 to be very flakey. =

have a Dell with two USB3 ports, and both simply don't see the hard drives attached about 10% of the time. On the MacMini I've had driv=

es

vanish, but I may have solved that by telling the mini to never sle=

ep.

So USB3 is just flakey, huh? =A0:)

It is on the Dell. So far, since changing the mini to not sleep or sl=

eep

the drives it's been fine. Of course, it's only been a couple of days=

.

The MediaSonic ProRaid has been fine for several days now. The Seagate USB3 drive is just flakey. But it's flakey on the Dell XPS 8300 also. I=

works, but not well enough to simply leave it connected.

Lloyd
I just did a quick Google of 'USB 3 flakey' and it returned almost 7 million hits. =A0A quick, non-scientific perusal of the hits show USB 3 hubs and USB 3 in general to be flakey on virtually any machine from all mfgs.

In some similarly quick & low fidelity searching, some of the problems might be due to the use of the "JMicron JMS539 USB Bridge chip"...some reviews I read on NewEgg seem to finger it as a known problem with USB.

-hh