Re: USB 3.0 hubs that WORK ...

Lloyd
SubjectRe: USB 3.0 hubs that WORK on a new 15" Retina MacBook Pro
FromLloyd
Date11/18/2012 16:24 (11/18/2012 09:24)
Message-ID<lloydparsons-8B6571.09244618112012@news.eternal-september.org>
FollowsLewis
Followups-hh (52m)
Steve de Mena (10h & 1m) > Lloyd

In article <slrnkahttd.c0j.g.kreme@mbp55.local>, Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies>wrote:

Lewis
In message <slrnkaejbm.b35.g.kreme@mbp55.local> Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies>wrote:

In message <lloydparsons-D36088.16320816112012@news.eternal-september.org> Lloyd <lloydparsons@me.com>wrote:

Lloyd
In article <slrnkadeii.2oum.g.kreme@mbp55.local>, Lewis <g.kreme@gmail.com.dontsendmecopies>wrote:

Lewis
In message <df4f3106-316c-4f9a-aa7a-faf089034431@googlegroups.com> -hh <recscuba_google@huntzinger.com>wrote:

-hh
I think it was partially answered. Steve apparently found that his USB2 dongles worked ok through a USB2 hub, and similarly, the 3's on a 3 hub. I don't recall noticing the 3's brand.

Possibly related to this is that I'm having a wired Logitek mouse disappear & reappear on USB2, even after I rewired to plug in the mouse directly (no hub).

Lewis
I have a 7-port USB2 hub that used to work, and now no longer works at all. very annoying.

I'd like to get a USB4 hub, but I've found USB3 to be very flakey. I have a Dell with two USB3 ports, and both simply don't see the hard drives attached about 10% of the time. On the MacMini I've had drives vanish, but I may have solved that by telling the mini to never sleep.

Lloyd
So USB3 is just flakey, huh? :)

Lewis
It is on the Dell. So far, since changing the mini to not sleep or sleep the drives it's been fine. Of course, it's only been a couple of days.

The MediaSonic ProRaid has been fine for several days now. The Seagate USB3 drive is just flakey. But it's flakey on the Dell XPS 8300 also. It works, but not well enough to simply leave it connected.

I just did a quick Google of 'USB 3 flakey' and it returned almost 7 million hits. A quick, non-scientific perusal of the hits show USB 3 hubs and USB 3 in general to be flakey on virtually any machine from all mfgs.

-hh (52m)
Steve de Mena (10h & 1m) > Lloyd