Re: USB 3.0 hubs that WORK ...

Steve de Mena
SubjectRe: USB 3.0 hubs that WORK on a new 15" Retina MacBook Pro
FromSteve de Mena
Date11/06/2012 09:48 (11/06/2012 00:48)
Message-ID<k72dnaH2yM14UwXNnZ2dnUVZ5gGdnZ2d@giganews.com>
FollowsAlan Baker
FollowupsAlan Baker (12m) > Steve de Mena
Alan Baker (37m) > Steve de Mena

On 11/5/12 12:19 PM, Alan Baker wrote:

Alan Baker
In article <j7GdnR3cWPGxgwXNnZ2dnUVZ5o4AAAAA@giganews.com>, Steve de Mena <steve@demena.com>wrote:

Steve de Mena
On 11/4/12 4:42 AM, Lloyd wrote:

Nashton
So let's see. In order to circumvent Apple's piss-poor implementation of a technology that's been available for years in Windows (they still haven't gotten FW right *yet*), we need to go through illegal channels in order to make it work.

They "just work" those Macs, eh?

Lloyd
What are you babbling about?

The dongles being referred to are required by the software maker and apply equally to Windows boxes as they do to Macs.

And what about FW doesn't work?

Steve de Mena
On my Mac Pro the built-in Firewire ports (front and back) did not work correctly with my Avid 003R (Pro Tools) device. I had to get a 3rd party PCIe card.

Alan Baker
Sorry, but I don't see the reports of that...

You couldn't update the firmware of the Digidesign 003R, it would fail. Are you a Pro Tools 003 user or someone who can authoritatively comment on this subject?

Here is a 2010 post from me and you can read the whole thread: http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=1612018&postcount=101

If you read the thread you'll see the SIIG card resolved my issues. It doesn't seem they index their forums this far back, I found the post by searching my email inbox.

Steve de Mena
Many places recommend using the "back" FW800 ports and not the front one(s) on a Mac Pro for certain devices.

Alan Baker
For instance...

You really think I make this stuff up? (1) http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/satellite-support

Mac Pro FireWire Ports Mac Pro systems have FireWire ports on the front and rear of the computer. For optimum performance when using UAD-2 Satellite with Mac Pro computers, connect UAD-2 Satellite to a FireWire port on the rear of the Mac Pro instead of a front panel FireWire port.

(2) Digidesign Support FAQ & Pro Tools Troubleshooting Guide http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/FAQ_&_Troubleshooting_Guide_37720.pdf "On Mac Pro models, the interface should always be connected to the back FireWire port."

Waiting for an apology.

Steve