Re: Laguna Seca is booked!

-hh
SubjectRe: Laguna Seca is booked!
From-hh
Date03/30/2012 03:54 (03/29/2012 18:54)
Message-ID<d7959834-f80a-4af1-ac16-c6f4ee8c24c6@l18g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>
FollowsNashton

On Mar 29, 5:30=A0pm, Nashton <n...@na.ca>wrote:

Nashton
On 03-27-12 3:11 PM, -hh wrote:

-hh
As I said above, I easily could have claimed "Yes", but to make such a claim can very without also providing any substantiation would ring hollow. =A0In retrospect, I think it was a fair decision appropriate fo=

its day and no regrets.

Nashton
It can "very?" The above sentence is nonsensical. What the heck are you trying to say?

Editorial failure to delete two words:

"As I said above, I easily could have claimed "Yes", but to make such a claim without also providing any substantiation would ring hollow."

-hh
And from a chronological standpoint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sport_utility_vehicle#Popularity

...states that the SUV craze started (in earnest) in the 1990s.

In terms of actually being used for their design function, by 1998, the percentage of SUVs that were ever being used off-road had already fallen to 13%...

Nashton
The SUV craze started in the 90s because those wacky enviro-fanatics in California were able to make it so that station wagons were taken off the roads but since the need to haul a big family was still present, people were buying SUVs.

So now its the EPA's "fault" that SUV profit margins exploded tenfold to motivate their marketing? And this is despite the reality that minivans had hit the market a decade earlier ... and also that station wagons still aren't utterly banned to this day.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/06/02/us/size-of-us-family-continues-to-drop-ce= nsus-bureau-says.html

Oh yeah...that too.

-hh
Add the high-CG and rollover,

Nashton
Which was a significant consideration when you bought one. ;)

Trying to venure into engineering design principles, Mr. Certified Professional in Healthcare Management Via Envelope Licking At Home?

Please then tell us how the rollover issue was only a recent phenomena. And how it certainly couldn't possibly have stemmed from unintended consequences of trying to fit larger rims. if you dare venture the latter route, do be sure to detail the contribution of reduced sidewalls on NVH and any risks of secondary effects on tire pressure design safety margin and system's spring constants ratios if one tries to compensate simply by spec'ing a low tire pressure.

-hh
=A0 and now how every damn vehicle sold in the West is DOT-mandated to have tire pressure monitoring kits and the like, because these macho "compensators" don't even know how to check their tire pressure anymore.

Nashton
SUVs have come a long way since the time you bought one. At the time, I would never have considered buying one.

Put in new headlights, plush the interior and toss in a bag of electronics and then claim that it is the "All New! model". See if anyone notices that underneath, it is the same frame, suspension mains, engine block, etc, for year after year.

It's not only about tire pressure it's active safety systems that were absent when....you bought yours.

I can recall reading a owner's manual: "this electronic system does not allow you to disobey the laws of physics" and oddly enough, they didn't provide the date since 1999 that the laws of Physics changed. Of course they can have some benefits (other than another revenue source), but the design quality is often more fundamental to performance, and a design that's not flawed upfront won't have as much of a gain realized.

-hh
=A0 =A0 What's next are going to be rear-view cameras because they're running over their own children in their own home driveways.

Nashton
Because we all know that people never run over people in sedans.

Incidence rates are significantly lower, because the height over the back is also lower...but the mandate is still coming.

-hh