Re: OT: For those who Doubt

Luca Brasi
SubjectRe: OT: For those who Doubt
FromLuca Brasi
Date10/08/2001 20:25 (10/08/2001 20:25)
Message-ID<Xns913474329C93ASleepsWithTheFishes@140.99.99.130>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.fan.tolkien
FollowsKatherine Tredwell

Katherine Tredwell <ktredwell@ou.edu>wrote in news:3BC0D3E0.428DB62C@ou.edu:

Katherine Tredwell
Russ wrote:

Russ
In article <3BC0C3EC.B230D74B@ou.edu>, Katherine Tredwell <ktredwell@ou.edu>writes:

Katherine Tredwell
Flame of the West wrote:

This is almost too much to believe. Both Republicans and Democrats have been using the phrase "God Bless America" in their speeches, so how "divisive" can it be?

<snip>

It offends those of us who believe that God is above making political endorsements. For some people, "separation of Church and State" is a religious issue as well as a secular one.

Russ
Hmmm. I think God did take sides here: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."

Katherine Tredwell
So? What if I am Jewish or Muslim and do not regard the gospels as the unvarnished word of God? What if I am a Christian who interprets the Bible in a different way than you do? What if I am something else? Funny thing about the Constitution: it doesn't say that mixing religion and government is acceptable if the government has determined the proper theology.

Would my opinion cease to matter if I thought the words and actions of Jesus teach that faith is a separate thing from government and should be kept that way?

For that matter, would it cease to matter if I were an atheist? Despite the dismissive comments that have been made on this thread, nonbelieving children go to school too.

Katherine Tredwell

Jesus Kathy, if there were no constitution you would be in a world of shit, wouldn't you?

-- And in the world a heart of darkness, A fire zone, Where poets speak their heart then bleed for it. Jara sang his song - a weapon, in the hands of love; You know his blood still cries from the ground.