Re: OT: For those who Doubt

Russ
SubjectRe: OT: For those who Doubt
FromRuss
Date10/08/2001 04:45 (10/08/2001 04:45)
Message-ID<20011007224551.07086.00000636@nso-md.aol.com>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.fan.tolkien
FollowsKatherine Tredwell
FollowupsConrad Dunkerson (8h & 43m)
Katherine Tredwell (13h & 17m) > Russ

In article <3BC108AB.BAD5AE0C@ou.edu>, Katherine Tredwell <ktredwell@ou.edu> writes:

Katherine Tredwell
Originally it referred to the concept of an "established church," one that was state-endorsed and supported by taxes. Based on reference to the "wall of separation of church and state" in the Federalist Papers,

You're misinformed. "Wall of separation" was a term coined by *Thomas Jefferson* He did not write any of the Federalist Papers. In fact, Thomas Jefferson had nothing to do with the writing of the Constitution or the Bill of Rights. He was off in France as the American ambassador.

Jefferson's opinions on separation were most found in the Virginia's separation laws - although in theoretical opposition ot Madison. The Virginia legislature passed those laws not for Jefferson's reasons (he push for a rationalist centralist belief) rather it was pushed by the Congregationalists churches, who were supported by James Madison, who sought to destroy to power of the tory-influenced Anglican established church.

As I noted before the term "wall of separation" was coined by Thomas Jefferson. To understand what he meant by that, I suggest you read his letters in which he eplained that the separation between church and state was solely restrictive to the federal government and not to the states. In fact, Jefferson acknowledged that the several states had the power to legislate in the area of religion. That was not disputed until the 1940's and the Rooselvelt Supreme Court.

<snip>

It is relevant, however, to my reason for involvement in the thread: you do not need to be an atheist or a foreigner to be offended by the proclamation "God Bless America."

It's the name of a song. Get a grip.

I was addressing posters who appear to be disgusted because they think the ACLU's suit is a frivolity that does not concern the real feelings of real people. I am not interested in a debate over interpretations of the Constitution.

It is a frivolty. 6000 dead in not a frivolty

<snip>

Russ