Re: OT: For those who Doubt

Katherine Tredwell
SubjectRe: OT: For those who Doubt
FromKatherine Tredwell
Date10/08/2001 18:03 (10/08/2001 11:03)
Message-ID<3BC1CE45.C36EBA7D@ou.edu>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.fan.tolkien
FollowsRuss
FollowupsRuss (3h & 8m)

Russ wrote:

Russ
In article <3BC108AB.BAD5AE0C@ou.edu>, Katherine Tredwell <ktredwell@ou.edu> writes:

Katherine Tredwell
Originally it referred to the concept of an "established church," one that was state-endorsed and supported by taxes. Based on reference to the "wall of separation of church and state" in the Federalist Papers,

Russ
You're misinformed. "Wall of separation" was a term coined by *Thomas Jefferson* He did not write any of the Federalist Papers.

[...]

Mea culpa. (In my defense, these things do start to run together after a decade or so of neglect--although it's not something I should be neglecting.)

Katherine Tredwell
It is relevant, however, to my reason for involvement in the thread: you do not need to be an atheist or a foreigner to be offended by the proclamation "God Bless America."

Russ
It's the name of a song. Get a grip.

So is "Kill the President." You want we should put that on a billboard?

Probably not, because--imagine that!--song titles make statements. If they didn't, nobody would be wanting to put the title to yours up on display.

Katherine Tredwell
I was addressing posters who appear to be disgusted because they think the ACLU's suit is a frivolity that does not concern the real feelings of real people. I am not interested in a debate over interpretations of the Constitution.

Russ
It is a frivolty. 6000 dead in not a frivolty

By your logic, police should not be arresting people for petty theft currently, because next to 6000 dead, it's a frivolity. So is trying to stop someone jumping off a bridge, making donations to the local homeless shelter, or saying "please" and "thank you."

Next to 6000 dead, nearly *everything* seems "frivolous." That doesn't mean we should start shoving things to the side in our rush to proclaim our solidarity. If we allow terrorists to reshape our lives, to that extent they've won. Continuing with the frivolity of our daily lives is the best way to show that we're stronger.

I understood FotW to be complaining about frivolous lawsuits, which is a completely different thing. Contrary to his claim, the ACLU's suit is not frivolous because it reflects the beliefs of real people, and not just atheists (since some posters feel that atheists don't have the right to freedom-from-religion).

To make a more direct reply to your previous post: would you please review the Sermon on the Mount, since you decided to bring it into the conversation, and tell me who is poor, hungry, and outcast: America or Afganistan? Who then is blessed? And how can the US be blessed if it curses those who curse it and fails to turn the other cheek? By the standards you introduced, I fail to see how America can call itself "blessed."

Katherine Tredwell

Russ (3h & 8m)