Re: OT: For those who Doubt

Katherine Tredwell
SubjectRe: OT: For those who Doubt
FromKatherine Tredwell
Date10/08/2001 00:14 (10/07/2001 17:14)
Message-ID<3BC0D3E0.428DB62C@ou.edu>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.fan.tolkien
FollowsRuss
Followupsthe softrat (2h & 18m) > Katherine Tredwell
Luca Brasi (20h & 10m)

Russ wrote:

Russ
In article <3BC0C3EC.B230D74B@ou.edu>, Katherine Tredwell <ktredwell@ou.edu> writes:

Katherine Tredwell
Flame of the West wrote:

This is almost too much to believe. Both Republicans and Democrats have been using the phrase "God Bless America" in their speeches, so how "divisive" can it be?

<snip>

It offends those of us who believe that God is above making political endorsements. For some people, "separation of Church and State" is a religious issue as well as a secular one.

Russ
Hmmm. I think God did take sides here: "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."

So? What if I am Jewish or Muslim and do not regard the gospels as the unvarnished word of God? What if I am a Christian who interprets the Bible in a different way than you do? What if I am something else? Funny thing about the Constitution: it doesn't say that mixing religion and government is acceptable if the government has determined the proper theology.

Would my opinion cease to matter if I thought the words and actions of Jesus teach that faith is a separate thing from government and should be kept that way?

For that matter, would it cease to matter if I were an atheist? Despite the dismissive comments that have been made on this thread, nonbelieving children go to school too.

Katherine Tredwell