Re: Hurin, Beren or other -...

AC
SubjectRe: Hurin, Beren or other - Who is the thoughest man in Tolkien's works?
FromAC
Date01/23/2002 01:41 (01/22/2002 16:41)
Message-ID<9c64b76e.0201221641.4bcd2b21@posting.google.com>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.fan.tolkien
FollowsThe American
Followupsareweoutahere? (2h & 45m)

"The American" <a_real_american@hotspammail.com>wrote in message news:<u4rgba8vqe9142@corp.supernews.com>...

The American
"Mallron" <banjax@free.polbox.pl>wrote in message news:a2grs2$2jee$1@news2.ipartners.pl...

Mallron
I have recently started to wonder - who was the toughest man in Tolkien works. I don't mean the breavest, strongest, wisest - but toughest.

The American
Toughest

Mallron
in the matter of the strong spirit. A spirt (character) so strong that it can put that man amongst the higher beings - perhaps even Maiar or Valar spirits?

The American
didn't tolkien say that Hurin was the "mightiest of Men" ? is it Hurin that Tolkien says was counted as one of the Eldar? how did he die?

He said he was the mightiest warrior of Men. Where and how Hurin died is unknown, though if the Wanderings of Hurin had ever been finished, we might get a hint. As for becoming one of the Eldar, you're either thinking of Tuor (Hurin's nephew) who was "said" to have been counted among the Eldar when he sailed into the West. Or you may be thinking of Turin, who (as I discovered while reading the Peoples of Middle Earth this morning) keeps popping up as the fellow that will finally kill Morgoth. In early versions of the mythology, Turin and Nienor are actually counted not among the Eldar, but as Ainur!

--- AaronC

areweoutahere? (2h & 45m)