Re: Hurin, Beren or other -...

AC
SubjectRe: Hurin, Beren or other - Who is the thoughest man in Tolkien's works?
FromAC
Date01/21/2002 19:06 (01/21/2002 10:06)
Message-ID<9c64b76e.0201211006.358ae62d@posting.google.com>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.fan.tolkien
FollowsConrad Dunkerson
FollowupsJothar Hillpeople (11m)
Conrad Dunkerson (1d, 6h & 46m)

"Conrad Dunkerson" <conrad.dunkerson@worldnet.att.net>wrote in message news:<pAW28.415335$W8.14318500@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...

Conrad Dunkerson
"Mallron" <banjax@free.polbox.pl>wrote in message news:a2grs2$2jee$1@news2.ipartners.pl...

Mallron
Toughest in the matter of the strong spirit. A spirt (character) so strong that it can put that man amongst the higher beings - perhaps even Maiar or Valar spirits?

Conrad Dunkerson
Tolkien only ever suggested two Eruhini becoming Ainur that I can recall: Turin and Nienor.

I know for certain that in early versions of the myth (Lost Tales and the Sketch of Mythology) Turin does indeed become a Vala, and is the one who slays Morgoth in the final battle. I don't remember if Nienor is counted among the Ainur or not.

It's hard to tell whether the notion of Turin coming back as an Ainu to avenge himself and his family survived the writing of LotR. As Christopher Tolkien often wrote, it is difficult to tell whether various conceptions were purposely abandoned or just lost due to compression and re-expansion. Personally, I like the idea of Turin being the one who kills Morgoth.

--- AaronC