Re: Hurin, Beren or other -...

Mallron
SubjectRe: Hurin, Beren or other - Who is the thoughest man in Tolkien's works?
FromMallron
Date01/21/2002 18:28 (01/21/2002 18:28)
Message-ID<a2hj65$23p$1@news2.ipartners.pl>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.fan.tolkien
FollowsConrad Dunkerson

Mallron
We can learn of the toughness of Beren's spirit when he dies. His stays in the Halls of Mandos even though men were supposed to live this world after death. He doesn't leave waiting for Luthien - that is certainly a proof of strong and tough spirit.

Conrad Dunkerson
The souls of Men always wait for a time in the Halls of Mandos before passing on. Whether Beren's time of waiting was significantly longer or required a great act of will is uncertain.

If you read my original post semi-carefully you would perhaps notice (amidst a series of spelling mistakes) that I have conceded that this argument is somewhat speculative. In either case, thanks for your very on-contribution to the question asked.

M.