Re: Hurin, Beren or other -...

Conrad Dunkerson
SubjectRe: Hurin, Beren or other - Who is the thoughest man in Tolkien's works?
FromConrad Dunkerson
Date01/21/2002 16:36 (01/21/2002 16:36)
Message-ID<pAW28.415335$W8.14318500@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>
Client
Newsgroupsalt.fan.tolkien
FollowsMallron
FollowupsMallron (1h & 51m)
AC (2h & 29m) > Conrad Dunkerson

"Mallron" <banjax@free.polbox.pl>wrote in message news:a2grs2$2jee$1@news2.ipartners.pl...

Mallron
Toughest in the matter of the strong spirit. A spirt (character) so strong that it can put that man amongst the higher beings - perhaps even Maiar or Valar spirits?

Tolkien only ever suggested two Eruhini becoming Ainur that I can recall: Turin and Nienor.

We can learn of the toughness of Beren's spirit when he dies. His stays in the Halls of Mandos even though men were supposed to live this world after death. He doesn't leave waiting for Luthien - that is certainly a proof of strong and tough spirit.

The souls of Men always wait for a time in the Halls of Mandos before passing on. Whether Beren's time of waiting was significantly longer or required a great act of will is uncertain.

Mallron (1h & 51m)
AC (2h & 29m) > Conrad Dunkerson