Re: converting raw images f...

nospam
SubjectRe: converting raw images from Canon EOS 600D
Fromnospam
Date11/30/2013 20:49 (11/30/2013 14:49)
Message-ID<301120131449365583%nospam@nospam.invalid>
FollowsAlan Browne

In article <_e2dnZw-1sd5igfPnZ2dnUVZ_q2dnZ2d@giganews.com>, Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreelunchVideotron.ca>wrote:

ray carter
I have proudly used Linux exclusively for over a decade - I've yet to find anything important to me that I can't do with it and in the process, I've saved thousands of dollars.

Alan Browne
Meanwhile in the professional world of graphics design, including photographic editing, the "creatives" choice remains OS X coupled to application suites from Adobe and others.

Linux "market share" for desktop continues its decline as OS X rises (Macs being more affordable than ever has a lot to do with that...).

In desktop use, as of 2013 OS X stands at about 6.5% (up from a few percent at the start of the intel switch) and Linux has declined to 1.6% from a high of around 2.5% or so.

that's overall market share.

mac market share for graphics professionals or photographers is much higher than overall share.

nearly every ad agency, for example, uses macs. roughly *half* of adobe's sales are for the mac.

Linux remains a strong choice for servers, embedded systems and so on - but it's pretty lame for desktop since the major productivity apps are not produced for it (bandaids like WINE are a PITA). There are narrow cases like thin clients for data entry and the like.

it's great for servers, but not necessarily the best choice there either.

not looking at all of the options is always a bad idea.