Re: Android hammers iOS, no...

Alan Baker
SubjectRe: Android hammers iOS, no wonder Apple is worried
FromAlan Baker
Date08/14/2012 19:29 (08/14/2012 10:29)
Message-ID<alangbaker-80234F.10292614082012@news.shawcable.net>
Followsed
Followupsed (41m)

In article <b9a5c2a3-354d-46c4-9e39-720319739aa0@googlegroups.com>, ed <news@atwistedweb.com>wrote:

ed
On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 6:05:25 AM UTC-7, Sandman wrote:

Sandman
On 2012-08-13, ed <news@atwistedweb.com>wrote:

ed
yup, rolling out, so it looks like you'll be getting it.

Sandman
Only about a year after it's been released. :-D

ed
sure, just pointing out that the 'no android 4 for me' was going to be changing soon. ;D

Sandman
Ironic.

ed
How so?

Sandman
When iOS 5 was released, there was no "soon" for the supported devices. It was just.. available.

ed
yup, one of the nice things about the iphone and ios. one of the not so nice things is the artificial restriction of some features from old phones that can handle them fine.

And you feel you're both sufficiently qualified and informed to make that determination, do you?

KDT
Funny enough, Ed doesn't see this as a problem.

ed
what ed actually thinks is this isn't a big problem on phones, since the nexus devices are available if being on the latest version of android is a big deal to you. i'm more sympathetic to the issue on the tablet side, although it's been pretty obvious that (until the nexus 7 came out) the xoom was the closest to a dev / nexus device in terms of update and support.

Sandman
Even more ironic. Android versions not being available for phones as new as iPhones that can run the latest iOS is not a problem because "they can always get a new phone". I kind of had the feeling that this was something *Apple* was accused of doing - "forced obsolescence" I think the term is. Saved in the quote file! :)

ed
in your quote file, be sure to attribute it to yourself, because what i wrote above doesn't even come close to what you are apparently trying to attribute to me!

Actually, it's more generous than what you suggested: that you get a device from a very small subset of all the available devices you might get in order to get the new OS.

-- "The iPhone doesn't have... ...well, since Edwin seems to have finally crawled away for good, I guess I'll let him off the hook

ed (41m)