Re: Eliminate Islam Now.

Rimrunner
SubjectRe: Eliminate Islam Now.
FromRimrunner
Date09/16/2001 20:39 (09/16/2001 18:39)
Message-ID<slrn9q9seq.3bk.rimrun@drizzle.com>
Client
Newsgroupsrec.arts.sf.starwars.misc
FollowsOliver J. Hanau
FollowupsOliver J. Hanau (2d & 51m) > Rimrunner
ObeeKris (2d, 11h & 46m)

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001 11:07:50 +0200, Oliver J. Hanau <ojh@gmx.net>wrote:

Oliver J. Hanau
Rimrunner wrote:

Rimrunner
"People shouldn't use religion to justify their acts. They should use their acts to justify religion."

Oliver J. Hanau
Hmm, sounds interesting. But I cannot think of a reason to justify religion (if I use it synonymously with "faith" for a second) to anyone but yourself. And at least in my religion/faith, a strong point is made of the quality of one's acts being representative of the quality of one's faith.

Your latter statement is essentially what I'm talking about. I have this notion that if people thought this way, they would be more critical of people who performed violent acts in the name of religion, and of religious sects that seemed to encourage violent behavior.

The problem with that, of course, is that a lot of people seek religion in order to learn how to act--to find guidance for their behavior. This has traditionally been one of the roles of religion. If these people are told, nope, you gotta figure it out for yourself, they might get lost.

With all the math I've been doing lately [*] it makes me want to rephrase it somehwere along the linew of, "Their acts should be justified in themselves, i.e. 'good.'"

Then once we've defined good, we can knock off for a beer. Or maybe we should knock off for the beer first, since it might help our deliberations.

Or something. 's all a bit confused, but the best I can do on a Sunday morning (it's 11 am here).

Yes. It's one of those thoughts that sounds pretty, but I'm not sure it's really a valid statement. I get those from time to time. Most of the time I just write them down and think them over myself, but this one seemed relevant to recent events so I figured I'd post it.

-g, 11:45 here and i gotta go to work -- Murder of Crows @ http://www.murderofcrows.net NEXT SHOW: GoGirlsMusicFest @ Sit & Spin, Seattle, Sat Sept. 29 2001 "The risk of loss is the shadow cast by affection." -- Carolyn Hax