Re: Question for Sandman ab...

Snit
SubjectRe: Question for Sandman about web design
Message-ID<C2562D5D.7E86B%CSMA@gallopinginsanity.com>
Followsnospam

"nospam" <nospamatall@iol.ie>stated in post f0pvph$o2p$1@aioe.org on 4/26/07 3:43 AM:

nospam
Sandman's site looks fine, though his spelling is atrocious; I can't read a single word on the homepage. Still, there are millions of truly bad websites out there, why pick on this one, which is pretty good?

While I might not be doing so in the kindest of ways I am, in the end, helping Sandman to get better at what he claims to be a pro at. His CSS now mostly validates, and where it does not it is based on using proposed CSS 3 rules which Safari already handles - and they cause no problems on other browsers. His HTML, I believe, now validates. His alt-text is no longer silly... while you say it may look OK, by having the silly alt text that he had ("space", "left", "right" etc.) he was making it so search engines and screen readers would choke on his site. I even pointed out to him to improve his white space, increase contrast, better compress his images, etc...

In the end Sandman has altered his site in ways completely consistent with my suggestions, though at times it has taken him a couple of attempts.

Web design is not just about making a page or a sit *look* good - it should be easy to read and work with by many people, it should be easy for search engines to work with, etc. Sandman had little understanding of this (as even the alt-text example shows). He is learning.

There is a lot that Sandman knows, no doubt, that I do not... I know very, very little PHP, for example, and I believe he knows it relatively well. There is no shame in saying one does not know everything... I razz Sandman for a couple of reasons: 1) he has an amazingly frail ego where he cannot handle my pointing out his weaknesses, and 2) He repeatedly lies about me (even when the facts he denies are still available on the WayBackMachine), trolls me, and mentions me hundreds of times on his web site... often in completely dishonest ways.

I would love to see Sandman grow a backbone and admit that, yes, clearly he lied when he accused me of forging the data I pulled from the WayBackMachine (and validation services); clearly he lied when he denied his poorly done alt-text, etc. Sandman, however, is not capable of admitting his code was poor... no lass admitting to his lies, no matter how easy they are to show.

-- ? The tilde in an OS X path does *not* mean "the hard drive only" ? Things which are not the same are not "identical" ??The word "ouch" is not a sure sign of agreement.