Re: Apple Ad debate

NRen2k5
SubjectRe: Apple Ad debate
FromNRen2k5
Date07/03/2006 06:46 (07/03/2006 00:46)
Message-ID<ji1qg.42554$x.289409@weber.videotron.net>
FollowsSnit
FollowupsLars Träger (15h & 10m) > NRen2k5

Snit wrote:

Snit
"NRen2k5" <nomore@email.com>stated in post SaVpg.25249$x.127461@weber.videotron.net on 7/2/06 12:32 PM:

NRen2k5
Snit wrote:

Snit
The ad in question: <http://snipurl.com/viruswhatvirus> Quote in question (slowed down): <http://snipurl.com/Slow_Quote> "no no do not be a hero, ***LAST YEAR*** there are 114,000 known viruses for PCs." [emphasis mine, poor grammar Apple's]

1) Wally dishonestly "quoted" the Apple commercial (while blaming others for doing so). He dishonestly denied it state "last year" and "quoted" it as: "no no do not be a hero, actually there are 114,000 known viruses for PC's.........". In his doing so, he used poor grammar (note the "PC's"). This is relevant based on #2:

NRen2k5
"PC's" (as opposed to "PCs") *is* the proper way to write it.

Snit
Do you have any support for your view? Here is support for mine:

<http://tranchant.plus.com/notes/apostrophe> ----- Never use an apostrophe to form a plural. As the Quick Guide suggests, it is common opinion that words ending in vowels take an apostrophe when plural. This is wrong. ... Neither is it correct to use an apostrophe with plural abbreviations, which do not even use full-stops (periods) between letters these days. CDs, ICBMs, PCs, VCRs etc. -----

http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/ ----- Apostrophes are NEVER ever used to denote plurals! Common examples of such abuse (all seen in real life!) are: Banana's for sale which of course should read Bananas for sale Menu's printed to order which should read Menus printed to order etc. -----

http://www.articlealley.com/article_7703_50.html ----- That's the rule. If it's a noun, s makes it plural and apostrophe-s makes it possessive. It's just that simple. -----

Either way, though, the whole grammar issue is a side issue Wally spewed in an effort to obfuscate the fact he dishonestly claimed the Apple ad did *not* use the phrase "last year". Even after I provided the slowed down version Wally still sticks to his lie.

2) Wally belittled me for honestly quoting the ad's poor grammar. "Really Snit that is stupid even for you! But never let it be said that I would not lend you a helping hand try this.. 'Last year there were................'" Wally further called me ignorant and stupid based on my being honest and quoting the ad correctly.

NRen2k5
Please cite the posts.

Snit
Gladly (easy to look up the quotes): <http://snipurl.com/smng> <http://snipurl.com/smnk> <http://snipurl.com/smnl>

Etc. Wally repeatedly wants to pretend that the poor grammar in the ad is something I have no problem with. I discuss this more in #3.

3) When #2 was pointed out, Wally lied and said my honestly quoting the ad was a form of "support" and "agreement" for its poor grammar. Wally is confusing the concepts of supporting telling the truth (as I did and he failed to do) with supporting the ads use of improper grammar (which I do not).

4) Wally played these games, no doubt, to obfuscate the fact that he dishonestly "quoted" Apple by claiming the ad did not use the phrase "last year". This whole grammar side issue is irrelevant to Wally's initial lie, but he is trying mighty hard to obfuscate it.

NRen2k5
Much like you are trying to obfuscate the facts by creating more discussion threads on the topic.

Snit
While I can understand you not wanting to see the same facts posted in multiple threads, to call such a thing "obfuscation" is absurd; it is the exact opposite. I am repeatedly presenting the truth - and watching as Wally runs and obfuscates.

Honestly quoting someone is not synonymous with agreeing with their message nor with supporting the use of improper grammar.

How much trolling will Wally do over the above facts?

NRen2k5
How much more trolling can *you* do?

Snit
Do you consider my repeating of clear facts that Wally is running from to be a form of trolling? I have asked Wally to keep his lies on this issue to this thread, so I am trying to have it not spread all over CSMA.

I cancelled the post right after making it but apparently CSMA doesn't support it.

-- http://pcguyelevated.ytmnd.com/

Lars Träger (15h & 10m) > NRen2k5