FollowsNRen2k5
FollowupsNRen2k5 (19m) > Snit
Wally (4h & 53m)

"NRen2k5" <nomore@email.com>stated in post %80qg.40046$x.269667@weber.videotron.net on 7/2/06 8:28 PM:

Snit
http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/ ----- Apostrophes are NEVER ever used to denote plurals! Common examples of such abuse (all seen in real life!) are: Banana's for sale which of course should read Bananas for sale Menu's printed to order which should read Menus printed to order etc.

GreyCloud
Correct. I don't know what he is doing, but PCs is correct.

NRen2k5
I looked it up just now. Strictly speaking, you only use an apostrophe when the initialism has internal punctuation, for example Ph.D.'s.

I commend you for admitting to your error. Many in CSMA are not willing to do so.

Colour me surprised - this means that my college English teacher was wrong!

Some say a trained monkey could teach college classes. :)

Buuut, in modern times, it's *acceptable* to use an apostrophe when pluralizing any initialism.

Common, yes. Acceptable... well, but many people, but it is not accepted as being grammatically correct by linguists. None that I have read, anyway.

-- ? As of Feb 2006 Apple had no wireless Mighty Mouse ? If A = B then B = A (known as the "symmetric property of equality") ? One can be guilty of a crime but neither tried nor convicted

NRen2k5 (19m) > Snit
Wally (4h & 53m)