Re: The Show

Marek Novotny
SubjectRe: The Show
FromMarek Novotny
Date02/10/2017 21:15 (02/10/2017 14:15)
Message-ID<gqCdnbqxfNP-ggPFnZ2dnUU7-K2dnZ2d@giganews.com>
FollowsSteve Carroll
FollowupsSteve Carroll's Dog (53m)

On 2017-02-10, Steve Carroll <fretwizzer@gmail.com>wrote:

Steve Carroll

Marek Novotny
On 2017-02-10, Steve Carroll <fretwizzer@gmail.com>wrote:

Steve Carroll

Marek Novotny
On 2017-02-10, Steve Carroll <fretwizzer@gmail.com>wrote:

Steve Carroll
On Friday, February 10, 2017 at 9:33:32 AM UTC-7, Marek Novotny wrote:

Marek Novotny
Right now I am trying to remember about this Linux friendly mixer which might help me record audio from multiple sources into the mic jack. It was supposed to be very small and I heard it mentioned once on a show. Which I could remember the damn name of it. I'd like to buy that.

Steve Carroll
All you need is multichannel audio I/O, the 'mixer' can be software based. That said, personally, I prefer to have a physical mixer (you can get units that have multi channel I/O built in). My youngest son and his buddy were messing around with the podcasting idea recently (it was actually video casting against a green screen) and I let them have full reign over my studio (with a cautious eye by me). The results were pretty amazing to me. What can be done out of the house now...

Marek Novotny
Would you recommend one with the smallest foot-print possible.

Steve Carroll
I understand the criteria of ' smallest foot-print possible' but that criteria can quickly fall by the wayside once you get things up and running. Here's an article (there are tons) that cover some of the things you'll want to consider, even if you're just trying to 'keep things simple and to a minimum'.

Marek Novotny
And a Mic if you know of a good one.

Steve Carroll
The Heil and Rode stuff is pretty good in this niche but it really depends on your budget. There are so many mics dedicated to the task now it's crazy, here are some popular ones:

<https://www.omnicoreagency.com/best-podcasting-microphones/>

The absolute best way, in my opinion, is to head on down to a Guitar Center or similar and try them out with your voice into a set of headphones; and it wouldn't hurt to use the pre you might be using while you're at it. The main thing you need to decide is to what level do you want dedicated components. Do you want a mic with built in pre-amp and I/O? This doesn't let you upgrade any individual component without losing the entire investment you have into the 'all in one' mic. Part of the reason my son got what he did was the audio (getting good video isn't difficult now) his chain alone cost me $3-4k. Obviously, you don't want that but you don't want to have funky audio and/or lock yourself in, either (at least, I wouldn't).

Marek Novotny
Good food for thought. I will save this and look into your suggestions. Thanks for taking the time. :)

Steve Carroll
Hey, thanks you for taking the time regarding my laptop! A moment ago I ordered the ASUS I was looking at, a little more than $1100.00 with a 3 year contract (which I think they upped the price on) and 8GB of additional RAM:

<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014R8JPYW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1>

Screen Size 15.6 inches Max Screen Resolution 1920*1080 pixels Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 RAM 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM Hard Drive 512 GB flash_memory_solid_state Graphics Coprocessor geforce gtx 960m Chipset Brand nvidia Card Description Integrated Wireless Type 802.11 A/C Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2 Brand Name Asus Series K501UW Item model number K501UW-AB78 Operating System Windows 10 (64bit) Item Weight 4.4 pounds Product Dimensions 15.6 x 10 x 0.8 inches Item Dimensions L x W x H 15.6 x 10 x 0.8 inches Processor Brand Intel Processor Count 2 Computer Memory Type DDR SDRAM Flash Memory Size 512.0 Batteries 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)

Sounds good. Let us know how it all works out for you if you decide to throw Linux on it.

-- Marek Novotny https://github.com/marek-novotny