Re: Sandman still lying abo...

Sandman
SubjectRe: Sandman still lying about his CSS
Message-ID<sandman-9200d1ced608f87660a7da2136c571e7@individual.net>
PGPSandman
FollowsSteve Carroll
FollowupsSteve Carroll (34m)
Snit (39m) > Sandman

In article <2f2c171c-01c3-4834-99b1-6abddbe0aba2@googlegroups.com>, Steve Carroll wrote:

<snip Snit's CSS lies>

Steve Carroll
Big deal... lots of sites have CSS errors (and worse). Generally speaking, CSS errors are really only problematic when they screw up the layout, look (i.e. animation).

Indeed. Validation is of little concern to me, never has been. Which is also obvious when you see my followup to his first post, where he pointed to my HTML not validating:

Re: Maccies aren't fanatical? <mr-132F79.19552829052006@individual.net> Sandman <mr@sandman.net>05/29/2006

[3178] On a side note, I decided to look at Sandman. [3179] net: your code is pretty damned bad.

Yeah, I know. It's not bad - but it doesn't validate very good. That's because the system that does the code consists of over 1 million rows of code, so there are good and bad parts of it.

Indeed - actually, you just helped me. Most of the errors were entities in URL's, which frankly isn't a problem. I have a regexp to fix that, but it didn't work. Ooops. Thanks. Most of the other errors are usage of tags that don't conform to the DOCTYPE but still work, such as ABSMIDDLE, which actually makes a difference

Any casual reader should note that I had no problem admitting to non- validating code at all, nor any pride invested in something so trivial as HTML/CSS validating. This somehow seemed to upset Snit so he probably just flung something to see if it stuck, and he lied about my CSS not validating, which of course it did.

Of the pages I ever saw you point to on his site, I never saw a layout munged by CSS. Here is his current home page on a modern monitor (note that his site is responsive):

<http://imgur.com/a/0RsYR>

I am actually having a severe CSS problem on my site right now, which is visible on that screenshot. And it totally boggles me.

Those images are flex-flowed, and contain the image and the headline of the article it points to. Notice that *white line* running below them all? I can NOT get rid of it! It boggles (my) mind! When inline-editing the DOM in the browser, Safari (or Chrome) will not show me what is causing it. It's just *there* and it bothers the hell out of me!

Here's yours:

<http://imgur.com/a/C5FDH>

Haha!

-- Sandman