Re: Poll: Snit Leaves or Sn...

Snit
SubjectRe: Poll: Snit Leaves or Snit Stays
Message-ID<D4BE785D.8ED00%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
FollowsMarek Novotny

On 2/6/17, 6:55 PM, in article kdKdnYPe5JOLtATFnZ2dnUU7-RPNnZ2d@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny" <marek.novotny@marspolar.com>wrote:

Steve Carroll
I've seen you write that previously. I should check out if I can swap out on this unit before I bought one. I'm not sure the model above has the same one as my son's (probably does) but I really don't like his trackpad. I should also check about the driver, too, I suppose.

Marek Novotny
Regarding the flash, sometimes the vendor sets up the flash as RAID even though there is but one unit. If that can't be switched to AHCI than that might an issue.

I would personally not recommend this only because I have no idea what to expect. So I would just follow the path I know works well.

Steve Carroll
Not sure what model it is but my oldest has an ASUS laptop that seems to be holding up pretty well (he did pay a bit more for his, though). This one my youngest has is pretty decent for a 'consumer' model, I think I could possibly be happy with something similar. I dunno, I may get stupid again and just buy another MacBook Pro cuz it's what I know works well... but I just don't want to spend that much on something I don't really have a serious need for right now.

Marek Novotny
I'm with you on that thought... You could simply search for that model and Linux and see what conversations you find regarding it.

I'm all for sticking with what you know. But in this case that is limiting you. I don't know how you'd react to Linux. But there is one thing I would say to you. It can be very liberating. Apple can't hold me hostage with their expensive hardware.

They cannot hold ANYONE hostage. Anyone can buy other products.

If I want a server, I build it. If I want a desktop, I choose from many. I can buy the hardware I want and build exactly what I want. I don't have to wait for Apple to build what I want. I'm in control.

You imply a false dichotomy of ALL Apple hardware or NO Apple hardware. You can mix and match. Maybe for you the best "mix" includes ZERO Apple hardware. For someone else maybe it is mostly Apple. For me I am somewhere in the middle.

This is, of course, the same idea with ANY company.

I really don't understand why anyone wants to be shackled by Apple.

The idea such people exist is a straw man. You have limited yourself by saying you will not buy from a company. Fine. But that is YOUR limit, it does not mean others who do not have your limit are somehow less free.

Don't get me wrong, they make nice things. But I just wanted a server class machine with remote management, hardware RAID, etc. Apple has no such product.

Absolutely correct.

Notice how when I want to experiment with Linux I can build a server with KVMs all native to Linux. I don't need VMWare or VirtualBox. The virtual machines, the virtual network, the host, the guests are all Linux. That's freedom. Apple will never match this, ever. Nor will Microsoft.

Each has its benefits. The fact you can make VMs without paying extra IS cool. No doubt. But you also lack a lot of benefits when you limit yourself as you do.

-- Personal attacks from those who troll show their own insecurity. They cannot use reason to show the message to be wrong so they try to feel somehow superior by attacking the messenger.