Re: Poll: Snit Leaves or Sn...

Steve Carroll
SubjectRe: Poll: Snit Leaves or Snit Stays
FromSteve Carroll
Date02/07/2017 02:22 (02/06/2017 17:22)
Message-ID<473a5024-973d-4842-b469-63ad9d7b3a30@googlegroups.com>
FollowsMarek Novotny
FollowupsMarek Novotny (32m) > Steve Carroll

On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 3:57:10 PM UTC-7, Marek Novotny wrote:

Marek Novotny
On 2017-02-06, Steve Carroll <fretwizzer@gmail.com>wrote:

Steve Carroll

Marek Novotny
On 2017-02-06, Steve Carroll <fretwizzer@gmail.com>wrote:

Steve Carroll
Strangely, I haven't run across any general consensus on a flavor for web development on the 'net. I only chose Ubuntu because it came up often, yet, I see a lot of people vote against it.

Marek Novotny
I thought I did see a blub about that at one point. Canonical was the overwhelming winner.

Steve Carroll
Definitely mentioned often.

On a side note, earlier today I ran across this article which had this...

<https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DT49XN8/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=wiknix-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01DT49XN8&linkId=ae297ff924472ce09fd8d092c4d2772a>

... at the top of the list.

SPECS Screen Size 15.6 inches Max Screen Resolution 1920*1080 pixels Processor 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 RAM 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM Hard Drive 512 GB flash_memory_solid_state Graphics Coprocessor geforce gtx 960m Chipset Brand nvidia Card Description Integrated Wireless Type 802.11 A/C Number of USB 3.0 Ports 2 Brand Name Asus Series K501UW Item model number K501UW-AB78 Operating System Windows 10 (64bit) Item Weight 4.4 pounds Product Dimensions 15.6 x 10 x 0.8 inches Item Dimensions L x W x H 15.6 x 10 x 0.8 inches Processor Brand Intel Processor Count 2 Computer Memory Type DDR SDRAM Flash Memory Size 512.0 Batteries 1 Lithium ion batteries required. (included)

I can get it with an additional 8GB of RAM and a 3 year service plan for $1039.00. It looks to be similar to my son's laptop (ASUS K501UX-AH71).

Admittedly, as I mentioned earlier, I don't like his trackpad (I prefer my 2006 MBPro's) all that much (I'm wondering if there is a driver lacking there) and the battery life isn't the greatest but it's a decent, lightweight rig for low cost.

Marek Novotny
I have little experience with consumer laptops. I tend to stick to the Lenovo T series or the Dell Precision for my Linux laptops. I have used the Dell the XPS 15" as a Linux machine, partly because a crank kept telling me how problematic it was, hopping from one distro to another claiming it didn't work. I bought one and got it working on my first try with minor tweaks in about 10 minutes. The nVidia shouldn't be an issue. Not sure what type of wifi it is, but typically you can swap it out easily. Some track pads can be an issue. I would go with Snaptics myself. Mostly cause I think they are easy to work with.

I've seen you write that previously. I should check out if I can swap out on this unit before I bought one. I'm not sure the model above has the same one as my son's (probably does) but I really don't like his trackpad. I should also check about the driver, too, I suppose.

Regarding the flash, sometimes the vendor sets up the flash as RAID even though there is but one unit. If that can't be switched to AHCI than that might an issue. I would personally not recommend this only because I have no idea what to expect. So I would just follow the path I know works well.

Not sure what model it is but my oldest has an ASUS laptop that seems to be holding up pretty well (he did pay a bit more for his, though). This one my youngest has is pretty decent for a 'consumer' model, I think I could possibly be happy with something similar. I dunno, I may get stupid again and just buy another MacBook Pro cuz it's what I know works well... but I just don't want to spend that much on something I don't really have a serious need for right now.