Message-ID<D408A8DF.7DF46%usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>
FollowsMarek Novotny
FollowupsMarek Novotny (13m) > Snit

On 9/21/16, 9:00 PM, in article 2oSdnYXuFpLFyn7KnZ2dnUU7-LvNnZ2d@giganews.com, "Marek Novotny" <marek.novotny@marspolar.com>wrote:

Marek Novotny
On 2016-09-22, Octavian W. Lagrange <olagrang@perch.invalid>wrote:

Octavian W. Lagrange
Snit <usenet@gallopinginsanity.com>wrote:

Snit
OK, created / ran some scripts to show you the concept of window 1.

<https://youtu.be/PyKpARhOz4Y>

Octavian W. Lagrange
LOL!

Marek Novotny
I thought we covered the concept of Windows 1 a million times already.

We had... but Owl was STILL confused.

The whole point was NOT to do it that way...

Owl added that LONG after the first challenge. But if you do not want to reference them that way then don't:

<https://youtu.be/jcPUmwritV8>

I am sure there are better ways. Only way I could find with the few minutes of trying right now was to create the window and then immediately get the ID. It is theoretically possible for another process to "slip in" during that fraction of a second.

But the original task was just to set up windows... which I did. No mention of anyone trying to stop you!

Snit
The scripts reference "window 1".. with the exception of the lines that say "do script" WITHOUT referencing it which create a new window. I have a script simple called "New Windows" that does this.

You can see I run multiple scripts at the same time... each sending instructions to "window 1." They all go there. Does not matter what script sends the message... and I also click on different windows (have my mouse pointer show it by going inverse) and then what window is referenced by "window 1" changes. I also, at the end, close all windows and you can see the scripts that reference "window 1" fail... I have NO error capture or the like in these scripts.

As you have been told: it does not matter what script calls window 1... it is not as if one script owns that window. The window is a window of a different program and it is just accepting commands being sent to it... and when you reference it by "window 1" it just means the top window!

Hopefully this clears things up for you... we shall see.

Not shown: if I referenced the window by ID then then that would NOT be effected by which window was on top.

Marek Novotny
That's what should have been shown. Not this. How many tries is this for you, 6 or 7??

LOL! I should have predicted EXACTLY where he would have moved goal posts. Yeah... THAT makes sense!

Octavian W. Lagrange
You ridiculous blockhead. Thanks for demonstrating precisely why your code is broken. That behaviour is exactly what you *don't* want such scripts to do. You *don't* want to use "Window 1" as a reference, because it allows a focus change to change the target window.

This is what it *should* do:

https://vid.me/HCwe

Focus changes have no effect whatsoever on which window receives the input.

Marek Novotny
I think you made this clear as a bell a hundred times. And he's still focusing on this same stupid thing over and over again.

Owl repeatedly got confused by what was meant by "window 1" -- so I made this thread to help him.

And, of course, you and he troll me over it. It is what you do.

-- * OS X / Linux: What is a file? <http://youtu.be/_dMbXGLW9PI> * Mint MATE Trash, Panel, Menu: <http://youtu.be/C0y74FIf7uE> * Mint KDE working with folders: <http://youtu.be/7C9nvniOoE0> * Mint KDE creating files: <http://youtu.be/N7-fZJaJUv8> * Mint KDE help: <http://youtu.be/3ikizUd3sa8> * Mint KDE general navigation: <http://youtu.be/t9y14yZtQuI> * Mint KDE bugs or Easter eggs? <http://youtu.be/CU-whJQvtfA> * Easy on OS X / Hard on Linux: <http://youtu.be/D3BPWANQoIk> * OS / Word Processor Comparison: <http://youtu.be/w6Qcl-w7s5c>