Re: nospam still not admitt...

Sandman
SubjectRe: nospam still not admitting to an error (was: The closest we'll get to nospam admitting to an err
Message-ID<sandman-7271a126a9a5c80b38da83d3fc1f936f@individual.net>
FollowsEric Stevens

In article <uuaiab14c5qsuqnkeq49j9n434pd2jlovm@4ax.com>, Eric Stevens wrote:

Eric Stevens
Quote my text you deleted and see if you can still justify your bluster.

Sandman
Here is your irrelevant verbiage re-insterted:

Eric Stevens
See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5256#ref-THREADING

Sandman
This is an irrelevant RFC, hence it was snipped. It pertains mainly to a IMAP sorting extension (command) called "THREAD", which is a version of the SEARCH command, where the IMAP server can respond to a THREAD command and give the mail program messages sorted as they pertain to each other in a conversation.

Eric Stevens
Exactly the same thing happens in news groups.

Sandman
Incorrect.

Eric Stevens
Also, the same libraries handle IMAP, NNTP, POP3 etc.

Sandman
The extension outlined in the RFC above does not, I repeat; DOES NOT exist for NNTP or POP3. You have now made yet another incorrect statement.

Eric Stevens
I quoted this as a discussion of threading, not just a discussion of threading on the server as is done in IMAP. Software libraries are not part of RFCs. They are used to construct applications which are compliant with RFCs

It is still irrelevant verbiage. You made a claim about what was "standard" and you made a claim about what a "thread" was. Both those claims were proven incorrect. RFC's about IMAP extensions have exactly nothing to do with that.

"The ORDEREDSUBJECT threading algorithm is also referred to as "poor man's threading". The searched messages are sorted by base subject and then by the sent date. The messages are then split into separate threads, with each thread containing messages with the same base subject text. Finally, the threads are sorted by the sent date of the first message in the thread."

Sandman
The above quote, again, is only relevant to a parameter to the THREAD command to a IMAP server, and has exactly nothing to do with NNTP.

Eric Stevens
Threading order has nothing to do with NNTP either.

Sandman
Of course not. No one has claimed it does.

Eric Stevens
How threading is handled is determined by the author of the software.

Sandman
You're the only one that has claimed otherwise:

Eric Stevens
Bullshit: you are the one claiming that there are rules and standards governing threading and that the option I have selected within my news reader is 'non-standard' and hence wrong.

Now you are outright lying. The way Agent displays threads *IS* non-standard as I have shown. I have never said anything about "right" or "wrong". I have only ever corrected your *incorrect claims*, one of the quoted below:

Sandman
Eric Stevens 01/23/2016 <mig5abdjtuoep0eln74jdkmik4jr0v30l6@4ax.com>

"As far as the reader is concerned, you have changed the subject and it's now a different thread"

Eric Stevens
And that is the case in any variation of the "ordered subject" method of constructing threads.

Even if we ignore the fact that "ORDEREDSUBJECT" is not (*NOT*) a function of NNTP, the claim quoted above from you explicitly stated concerns regarding "the reader". Not concerns regarding you and your opinions, but "the reader", which is a phrase that would encompass any and all readers, or at least the vast majority.

I have shown that this is *false*. I have shown it by quoting explicitly what the RFC says about the use of the References header in regards of threading, and I have shown that *every single major news reader*, of which "the reader" is a user of, threads using the References header, both making it adhering to the RFC *and* the "standard" way to do it, and thereby fully countering both your claims.

Sandman
I.e., in short, an IMAP client can issue a THREAD command as such:

So, issuing it as such:

THREAD ORDEREDSUBJECT UTF-8 Eric has problems with RFC's

Would search the mailbox on the server for everything that contains "Eric has problems with RFC's" and return the search result in subject order and then date order.

Again, this has NOTHING to do with NNTP (usenet) where messages are fetched from the server using either the XOVER or XHDR commands.

Eric Stevens
Exactly.

Sandman
You just didn't understand anything of the above, right?

Eric Stevens
I understood it. You seem to be taking it literally in it's entirety.

Then your "Exactly" can only mean "Exactly, I was wrong to bring up this totally irrelevant RC and you were correct to snip it out in your followup and I was wrong to insist you respond to it".

Your software will not enable you to construct threads like this and for that reason you seem to think it is wrong.

Sandman
The above is irrelevant to your explicit claim:

Eric Stevens 01/23/2016 <mig5abdjtuoep0eln74jdkmik4jr0v30l6@4ax.com>

"As far as the reader is concerned, you have changed the subject and it's now a different thread"

I have never said that something is "wrong". I have correctly pointed out that your news client of choice displays threads in a non-standard way, where it not only displays a change of subject as a new thread, it also deletes the references in any followups to it, thereby breaking the thread.

Eric Stevens
It doesn't you know. It makes a new thread but keeps the previous references. I can always change the display mode and go back to your preferred way of doing things.

Sandman
It has nothing to do with me - it's the *standard* way of displaying threading, shared by all threading news readers except one; yours.

Eric Stevens
If you do your homework you will find that there is no absolute 'standard' way. Some use the method employed by trn. Others use the method employed by tin.

Sigh... *BOTH* trn and tin thread by the References header. "trn" stands for "threaded Read News", where "rn" was the client it built upon, short for "Read News", which did not thread at all, not by Subject header, not by References header.

Many more use the method of Netscape 2 and 3. Agent allows me to select "Enable threading by subject" and "Start a new thread when a follow up subject changes". You seem to think that's wrong.

I am correctly stating that it is non-standard and not in adherence with the explicit stated usage of the References header in the RFC, which I have shown many times.

Again, *I* am not the one that jumped in to a post you made and said you "broke the thread" or that you did something "wrong". *YOU* are the one that jumped in to a "discussion" I had with Tony and stated this:

Eric Stevens Re: Will Tony apologize? (was: Re: Colonial Photo & Hobby) 04/25/2014 <fljll9djo3hrhstou6n1456s4c87qhntjp@4ax.com>

"But irrespective of how your news reader responds, you started a new thread."

That is not you saying "In my news client it appeared as a new thread" or you saying "I think changing the subject makes it a new thread", you explicitly stated that regardless of how the message is displayed, a new thread was created. That's the claim I have countered.

Agent says of this:

"Check this box to have Agent include messages with the same subject under the same thread, even if the follow-up message doesn't contain a valid reference to the original. People frequently mis-post responses and this helps match follow-ups with the message to which they are responses.

Checking this box will also cause Agent to thread your email messages."

As you say, not many news reader will enable this but my first quote shows that this does not mean that Agent is wrong to do so. Threading on subject is permitted and can be a good idea.

Sandman
Agent is doing it in a non-standard way, which I have shown. Also, it is in violation of the RFC, which I have also shown. You, on the other hand, have failed to support your *explicit* claims about what "the reader" thinks is a new thread or not.

Eric Stevens
If you have ever cited a specific RFC it was a long time ago. Could you please identify which one you are referring to.

I have cited it so many times now. Do your own homework. You have even responded to the cite in this very thread. None is so blind as he who will nto see.

The wording of the RFC means that it is not compulsory.

Sandman
No matter how much weaseling you want to put in your reading of the RFC, you still made incorrect explicit claims that have have proven wrong. And that was *two years ago* and here you are again bringing it up again.

Eric Stevens
You are the one expanding the discussion into an argument.

Incorrect. I wrote three (3) posts as a response to you asking if you REALLY wanted to drag up this old debate again. Here, I'll quote them:

Sandman 01/23/2016 <sandman-9f5766532779f00291cbafcc2290e294@individual.net>

"This again, Eric? You got your ass handed to you last time via screen shots, RFC's and a multitude of links."

You replied, continued to argue, I responded:

Sandman 01/24/2016 <sandman-ac9d42921176fbba527e870516418bc6@individual.net>

"So why are you doing this all over again? You were proven wrong back then and I would have no problem proving you wrong again using the same facts. Why dig up arguments from the past like this?"

Yet you continued to argue, so again I asked:

Sandman 01/25/2016 <sandman-baa5c685d121f359cc6902bab76d963c@individual.net>

"I am not the one "winding up" this argument again. You are. And there isn't a matter of "looking" at it. You made an incorrect claim that I disproved. Do you want me to disprove it yet again?"

See - thats me in three different followups over the course of three different days giving you every chance to bow out and say "Nah, I don't need to drag this up any further, we've had this argument already", but you insisted, so I had to prove you incorrect again.

Sandman
Again, the wording of the RFC is 100% irrelevant. You are the one that two years ago started to ask for RFC's, not I. This "argument" didn't start because I said the RFC claims anything about what a news client "must" be doing. You're the one that said this:

"You can write software to do anything you like. That doesn't mean that it conforms with a standard."

"Standard" is the normal way things is done. A RFC can be considered a way to standardize things, but nowhere in any RFC does it say that threading must be based on the Subject header. The only time threading is ever mention in any RFC that pertains to NNTP or internet messaging as a whole, it explicitly mentions the References header.

Also, "standard" can refer to how something normally is done, and I have shown without a shadow of a doubt that the standard way to visually thread a usenet conversation is by the References header.

Eric Stevens
The only shadowless doubt is in your head.

Great comeback, troll boy.

I'm not taking this argument any further.

Sandman
You shouldn't have brought it up again to begin with. You had four chances to bow out where I did nothing but ask you why you were bringing it up again. You responded by insisting that you wanted to have this argument yet again, and I have handed you your ass yet again. So yes, you need to step out and rethink your goals. Good choice.

Eric Stevens
"Don't wind this argument up again or you will further irritate PeterN. Just accept that there is more than one way of looking at the matter."

... and you replied: "I am not the one "winding up" this argument again. You are. And there isn't a matter of "looking" at it. You made an incorrect claim that I disproved. Do you want me to disprove it yet again?"

Ever since then you have been employing the blustering tactics of a loud mouthed bully. You haven't tried to understand what I have been saying. You just ignored it and put forward your own blinkered understanding of the subject.

Sigh. Again, you made explicit statements two years ago and you made explicit statements a few days ago that were incorrect. I have shown them incorrect by an onslaught of substantiation. You have provided... irrelevant verbiage and a link to a RFC about an IMAP extension...

-- Sandman